100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Farley is part of the ancient legacy of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is a product of when the family lived in Farley which was in several counties including Berkshire, Derbyshire, Hampshire, and Staffordshire. The surname Farley is an habitation name, which form a broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. Farley was originally derived from a pre-existing name for a town, village, parish, or farmstead.
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Farley has been spelled many different ways, including Farley, Farleigh and others.
First found in Somerset where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Farley research. Another 299 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1182 and 1332 are included under the topic Early Farley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Farley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Farley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Farleys to arrive in North America:
Farley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Farley and his wife, Jane, purchased land in Virginia in 1623
- Thomas Farley, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- John Farley settled in Charlestown Massachusetts in 1630
- John Farley settled in New England in 1637
- Wm Farley, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Farley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Farley, who arrived in America in 1801
- Margaret Farley settled in New Castle Del. in 1804
- Margaret Farley, aged 20, landed in New Castle, Del in 1804
- Margt Farley, aged 20, landed in New Castle, Del in 1804
- Terrence Farley, who arrived in New York, NY in 1810
Farley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Farley, English convict from Sussex, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on October 22nd, 1824, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Bridget Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1847
- Rose Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1847
- John Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Mitchell" in 1849
- Leonora Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Andromache" in 1850
Farley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Farley, aged 26, a coachman, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Edinburgh" in 1873
- John William Farley, aged 43, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Betsy Farley, aged 40, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Rosa Farley, aged 10, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- William Farley, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Walter Farley (1915-1989), American author of horse stories for children, author of The Black Stallion (1941) and others in that series
- Terri Farley, American author of Seven Tears into the Sea
- Kevin Farley (b. 1965), American actor, stand-up comic
- Joseph Francis Farley (1889-1974), ninth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard (1946 to 1949)
- John Patrick Farley (b. 1968), American actor
- John Harrington Farley (1846-1922), American politician, 27th and 34th mayor of Cleveland, Ohio
- Jennifer "Jenni" Farley (b. 1986), American television personality
- James Indus Farley (1871-1948), American politician, three-term member of the United States Congress from Indiana
- James Thompson Farley (1829-1886), American politician, Speaker of the California State Assembly (1856)
- James Farley (1888-1976), American politician, Postmaster General (1933 to 1940)
- Francis Marion Farley and Lulu Cain Farley, Their Ancestors and Descendants by Lucille Farley Speer.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Farley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Farley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2015 at 06:26.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!