100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Farley family come from? What is the English Farley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Farley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Farley family history?The name Farley is part of the ancient legacy of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is a product of when the family lived in Farley which was in several counties including Berkshire, Derbyshire, Hampshire, and Staffordshire. The surname Farley is an habitation name, which form a broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. Farley was originally derived from a pre-existing name for a town, village, parish, or farmstead.
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Farley has been spelled many different ways, including Farley, Farleigh and others.
First found in Somerset where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Farley research. Another 299 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1182 and 1332 are included under the topic Early Farley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Farley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Farley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 106 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Farleys to arrive in North America:
Farley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Farley and his wife, Jane, purchased land in Virginia in 1623
- Thomas Farley, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- John Farley settled in Charlestown Massachusetts in 1630
- John Farley settled in New England in 1637
- Wm Farley, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Farley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Farley, who arrived in America in 1801
- Margaret Farley settled in New Castle Del. in 1804
- Margaret Farley, aged 20, landed in New Castle, Del in 1804
- Margt Farley, aged 20, landed in New Castle, Del in 1804
- Terrence Farley, who arrived in New York, NY in 1810
Farley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Farley, English convict from Sussex, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on October 22nd, 1824, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Bridget Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1847
- Rose Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1847
- John Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Mitchell" in 1849
- Leonora Farley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Andromache" in 1850
Farley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Farley, aged 26, a coachman, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Edinburgh" in 1873
- John William Farley, aged 43, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Betsy Farley, aged 40, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Rosa Farley, aged 10, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- William Farley, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Christopher Crosby "Chris" Farley (1964-1997), American comedian, cast member of Saturday Night Live (1990 to 1995)
- Christopher John Farley (b. 1966), Jamaican-born, American journalist, columnist, and author
- David Farley (b. 1971), American author and journalist
- James Farley (1888-1976), American politician, Postmaster General (1933 to 1940)
- James Thompson Farley (1829-1886), American politician, Speaker of the California State Assembly (1856)
- James Indus Farley (1871-1948), American politician, three-term member of the United States Congress from Indiana
- Jennifer "Jenni" Farley (b. 1986), American television personality
- John Harrington Farley (1846-1922), American politician, 27th and 34th mayor of Cleveland, Ohio
- John Patrick Farley (b. 1968), American actor
- Joseph Francis Farley (1889-1974), ninth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard (1946 to 1949)
- Francis Marion Farley and Lulu Cain Farley, Their Ancestors and Descendants by Lucille Farley Speer.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Farley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Farley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 February 2015 at 13:23.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!