100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Elkin include Elkins, Elkyns, Ellkins, Ellkens, Elkens, Elekins, Elekins, Elekyns, Elkin and many more.
First found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor at Oxford. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Elekin held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elkin research. Another 164 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1310, 1447, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Elkin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Elkin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Elkin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Elkin, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- David Elkin, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- John Elkin, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866
- Robert Elkin, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866
- William Elkin, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866
Elkin Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Elkin arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Phoenix" in 1860
- Jane Elkin, aged 36, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- William Louis Elkin (1855-1933), American astronomer, awarded the Lalande Prize in 1908
- Carrie Elkin (b. 1974), American folk/country singer and musician
- Stanley Lawrence Elkin (1930-1995), American Jewish novelist, short story writer, and essayist
- Luther V. Elkin, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 12th District, 1978
- Jacob Elkin, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 21st District, 1933; Candidate for New York State Assembly from Bronx County 2nd District, 1935, 1936, 1937
- Fielding Clay Elkin, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Lexington, Kentucky, 1898-1905
- Craig Elkin, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Stanley Lawrence Elkin (b. 1930), American author
- Roger Elkin, English award-winning poet
- Adolphus Peter "A. P." Elkin CMG (1891-1979), Australian Anglican clergyman and influential anthropologist
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Elkin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Elkin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 January 2016 at 14:26.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!