on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Dudley family come from? What is the English Dudley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dudley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dudley family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Dudley comes from when the family resided in the important town of Dudley in the county of Worcestershire. The name of this town was originally derived from the Old English personal name Dudda and the Old English word leah, which means woodland clearing; thus it means Dudda's glade. The surname Dudley belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Dudley has been recorded under many different variations, including Dudley, Dudlie, Dudly and others.
First found in Worcestershire at Dudley, a town that dates back to the Domesday Book where it was listed as Dudelei. Dudley Castle was listed there and at that time Earl Edwin held the manor also located there. Dudley and much of the surrounding area was held by William fitzAnsculf and was part of the Came Hundred. Today Dudley Castle is a ruined castle but has a visitor's center that was opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in June 1994.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dudley research. Another 693 words(50 lines of text) covering the years 1225, 1379, 1547, 1553, 1531, 1558, 1561, 1588, 1462, 1510, 1504, 1553, 1550, 1553, 1576, 1653, 1600, 1684, 1647, 1720, 1686, 1597, 1670, 1661, 1721 and 1684 are included under the topic Early Dudley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 323 words(23 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dudley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Dudley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Dudley or a variant listed above:
Dudley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Dudley who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Andrew Dudley, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Mr. Dudley, who landed in Massachusetts in 1630
- Anne Dudley made her home in Salem, Massachusetts in 1630
- Thomas Dudley, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630
Dudley Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Greenhill Dudley, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Thos Dudley, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Ann Dudley, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1729-1730
- Abigail Dudley, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1766
Dudley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edward Dudley, who landed in New York in 1810
- William Dudley, who arrived in New York in 1815
- Margaret Dudley, who landed in New York, NY in 1815
- Robert Dudley, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- G Dudley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Dudley Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Nathaniel Stevens Dudley, who arrived in Canada in 1834
- John Dudley, who arrived in Canada in 1836
- Levi Dudley, who arrived in Canada in 1840
- Alvin Dudley, who arrived in Canada in 1840
- Charles Dudley, who landed in Esquimalt, British Columbia in 1862
Dudley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Dudley, English convict from Bristol, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on October 16, 1826, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Thomas Dudley, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on March 6, 1848, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Eliza Dudley, aged 18, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
Dudley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- M Dudley landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1841
- W. C. Dudley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cashmere" in 1851
- Thomas Dudley arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- Thomas A. Dudley, aged 21, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1865
- Charles Dudley, aged 39, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Celestial Queen" in 1872
- Charles Benjamin Dudley (1842-1909), American chemist
- Edward Bishop Dudley (1789-1855), American politician, two-term Whig Governor of North Carolina from 1836 to 1841
- Jane Dudley (1912-2001), American modern dancer, choreographer, and teacher
- Carl Ward Dudley (1910-1973), American film director and producer
- William McGarvey "Bullet Bill" Dudley (1921-2010), professional American NFL football player, inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1966
- Christen Guilford "Chris" Dudley (b. 1965), retired American NBA basketball player and politician, Republican nominee for Governor of Oregon in 2010
- Edward Bishop "Ed" Dudley (1901-1963), American professional golfer of the late 1920s and 1930s, a 15-time winner on the PGA Tour
- Richard Mansfield Dudley, American Professor of Mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- J Dudley, American passenger from Los Angeles, California, USA, who flew aboard American Airlines Flight 191 and died in the crash on May 25, 1979
- Anne Dudley (b. 1956), English composer and pop musician
- The Dudley Family by Claude William Dudley.
- The Dudley Genealogies by James Henry Mason.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Dudley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dudley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 January 2015 at 18:01.
on orders of $85 or more