Dolle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Dolle family name first began to be used in the German state of Bavaria. After the 12th century, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules, and names that were derived from locations became particularly common. The family name Dolle is a local surname. Originally denoting the proprietorship of an estate or influence within a village, the German preposition von, which means from or of, used with local names, was taken as a mark of aristocracy. The surname Dolle was given to someone who lived in an ancient village on the edge of a swamp. The surname Dolle is derived from the Indo-Germanic word dul, which was used to describe dirty or swampy water. The surname can also be traced to the town of Dollendorf, which is also composed of the element dorf which refers to a settlement. Thus, a town or village called Dollendorf would be located near a moor or swampland. Furthermore, the name Dolle is of nickname origin and refers to a person who was noted in the community for his strength and prowess. The name can be traced to the Old Germanic word tol, which means strong and efficient and to be named Tol was an honor.
Early Origins of the Dolle family
The surname Dolle was first found in Bavaria, where the name Dolle emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. During the 13th century the surname was identified with some of the region's great social and economic advancements which contributed to later developments towards nationhood.
Important Dates for the Dolle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dolle research. Another 91 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1789 is included under the topic Early Dolle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dolle Spelling Variations
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Dolle include Dolle, Doll, Daal, Dol, Dole, Doal, Dolls, Dal, Dolz, Dohl and many more.
Early Notables of the Dolle family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dolle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dolle migration to the United States
The great European flow of migration to North America, which began in the middle of the 17th century and continued into the 20th century, was particularly attractive to those from Bavaria who wished to escape either poverty or religious persecution. For many Bavarian tenant farmers, the chance to own their own land was a major incentive. So the widespread colonization of the United States began in 1650, when many immigrants from Germany settled in pockets in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. In Canada, German settlement centered in Ontario and the prairie provinces. Among those of this surname listed in various historical records were:
Dolle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Dolle, who landed in Virginia in 1658 
Dolle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Dolle, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1715 (or 1716)
- John Dolle, who arrived in Boston in 1715 (or 1716)
- Lorentz Dolle, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Georg Dolle, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1764 
- Henrich Dolle, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1767 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Dolle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J G Dolle, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1800 
- Christine Dolle, who arrived in Texas in 1860
Contemporary Notables of the name Dolle (post 1700)
- John H. Dolle, American politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives from Bollinger County, 1869-72
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)