Non-Gaelic elements made their first appearance in Irish nomenclature after the Strongbow
settlers began to arrive on Irish shores. Although the Irish already had an established a system of hereditary surnames
, the Anglo- Normans
also brought their own traditions with them when they arrived. The two systems were not extremely conflicting, and eventually drew upon one another. Although local
surnames, such as Delaroick, were not entirely unknown to the Irish, this form of surname was much more popular with the Strongbownians. Local
names were taken from the names of a place or a geographical feature where the person lived, held land, or was born. Originally, these place names were prefixed by de, which means from in French. This type of prefix was eventually either made a part of the surname, if the place name began with a vowel, or was eliminated entirely. The local names of these Anglo-Norman invaders first referred to places in Normandy
, or more typically England
, but eventually for those Strongbownians or their descendents that remained in Ireland
, the local names really did begin to refer to local places or geographical features of the island. The Delaroick family appears to have originally lived in a rocky area or near some notable rock. The surname Delaroick is derived from the Old French word roche, which means rock. The surname Delaroick belongs to the class of topographic surnames, which were given to people who resided near physical features such as hills, streams, churches, or types of trees. The Gaelic form of the surname Delaroick is de Róiste.
Early Origins of the Delaroick family
The surname Delaroick was first found in County Limerick
(Irish: Luimneach) located in Southwestern Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, where they were granted lands by Strongbow
whom they accompanied into Ireland
during the Anglo- Norman invasion
Early History of the Delaroick family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delaroick research.Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1588, 1929, 1573, 1635, 1600, 1595, 1660, 1624, 1640, 1643, 1576, 1629 and 1594 are included under the topic Early Delaroick History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Delaroick Spelling Variations
Names were simply spelled as they sounded by medieval scribes and church officials. Therefore, during the lifetime of a single person, his name was often spelt in many different ways, explaining the many spelling variations
encountered while researching the name Delaroick. Some of these variations included: Roche, Roach, Roache, LaRoche, LaRoach, DeLaRoach, Roack, Roch, Roiche, St.Roche, Rocheland, Rochellan and many more.
Early Notables of the Delaroick family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Blessed John Roche (also known as John Neele or Neale), an Irish Catholic martyr, who died in London, England
in 1588, he is the patron of sailors, mariners and boatmen, beatified in 1929.
David Roche (1573-1635), Viscount Fermoy, was son and heir of... Another 118 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Delaroick Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Delaroick family to the New World and Oceana
The Irish emigration during the late 18th and 19th century contributed to the melting pot of nationalities in North America, and the building of a whole new era of industry and commerce in what was seen as a rich, new land. Ireland's Great Potato Famine
resulted in the worst economic and social conditions in the island's history. And in response to the hunger, disease, and poverty, during this decade the total number of emigrants to leave for North America rivaled all the previous years combined. Those from this decade that arrived on North American shores were not warmly welcomed by the established population, but they were vital to the rapid development of the industry, agriculture, and infrastructure of the infant nations of the United States and what would become Canada. Research into early immigration and passenger lists has shown many people bearing the name Delaroick: William Roach settled in Virginia in 1707; Edmund, Frederick, James, John, Margaret, Mary, Michael, Patrick, Richard, Thomas and William Roach all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870.
The Delaroick Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Mon Dieu est ma roche
Motto Translation: My God is my rock.
Delaroick Family Crest Products