100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The Davidson surname is a patronymic
created from the personal name David.
The surname Davidson was first found in Perth, Scotland
, where, in 1219, Johnannes filius
Davidis, a merchant in Perth, is mentioned. Some accounts suggest that around 1000 AD the Catti (Chattan) Clan
, from whom the Davidson Clan
descends, broke into two distinct factions, the MacKintosh and the MacPherson clans. The Davidson Clan
was part of the MacPherson element, but always considered itself to be the senior clan of the Chattan group. Records from the Ragman Rolls show Adami fiz Dauid of Forfarshire
and Johan le fiz David of Berwickshire
rendering homage to King Edward I
in 1296. Bearers of Davidson were found on both sides of the Scottish-English border. The first estates of the Clan
Davidson were at Invernahaven, a small estate in Badenoch, where they were said to be found from the mid 14th century.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Davison, Davidson, Davisint, Davisyn, Debison, Dawysone, Dawyson, Davysone, Davyson, Davitson, Dawysown, Davisoun, Davisend, Davidsone, Davidson, Daveysone, Daveyson, Dauyson, Dawysume, Dauysum and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Davidson research. Another 535 words (38 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1350, 1500, 1396, 1411, 1408, 1500, 1466, 1670 and 1411 are included under the topic Early Davidson History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Davidson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Davidson family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 147 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Davidson, who was sent to Virginia in 1666
- Elizabeth Davidson, who came to Maryland in 1667
- Elizabeth Davidson, who landed in Maryland in 1667
- Peter Davidson, who settled in Maryland in 1684
- Hen Davidson, who arrived in Virginia in 1698
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Davidson, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Alexander Davidson, who arrived in Maryland in 1710
- Alexander Davidson, who landed in Maryland in 1710-1711
- Owen Davidson, a prisoner sent to Yorktown, VA in 1716
- William Davidson, who came to Maryland in 1716
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Jas Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Robt Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Wm Davidson, who arrived in America in 1806
- John Davidson, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1811
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louis Davidson, who landed in Mississippi in 1903
- Walter Septimus Davidson, who landed in Alabama in 1919
- Archibald Davidson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1922
Davidson Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Capt. Davidson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Capt Davidson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Ewer Davidson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mr. Hamilton Davidson U.E. (b. 1748) who settled in Parr Town [Saint John], New Brunswick c. 1784 he died in 1840 in Dumfries, York County, New Brunswick
- Isabella Davidson, who came to Ontario in 1793
Davidson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thos Davidson, who arrived in Canada in 1820
- William Davidson, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the schooner "Sarah" from Belfast
- Sarah Davidson, aged 20, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the schooner "Sarah" from Belfast
- Catherine Davidson, aged 45, landed in Quebec in 1835
- Catherine Davidson, age 45 who arrived in Quebec in 1835
Davidson Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- J G Davidson, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Davidson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Davidson, English convict from Cumberland, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on September 3rd, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- Ann Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
- Charlotte Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
- George Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
- Marion Scott Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
Davidson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Davidson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- William Davidson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Whitby" in 1841
- John Davidson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avon" in 1860
- Frederick W. Davidson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1861
- Annie Davidson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1861
- Eric Harris Davidson (1937-2015), American developmental biologist at the California Institute of Technology
- Major-General Howard Calhoun Davidson (1890-1984), American Commanding General Strategic Air Force, Eastern Air Command (1943-1945)
- Lieutenant-General Garrison Holt Davidson (1904-1992), American Commanding General 1st Army (1962-1964)
- Arthur Davidson (1881-1950), one of the four original founders of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- Justin Davidson (b. 1966), American classical music and architecture critic awarded the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism
- John Davidson Sr. (b. 1941), American singer, actor and game show host
- Donald Herbert Davidson (1917-2003), American philosopher
- Ernest R. Davidson (b. 1936), American Professor of Chemistry awarded the President's National Medal of Science in 2001
- Lieutenant General Phillip Buford Davidson Jr. (1915-1996), American officer who served in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War
- Bruce Davidson (b. 1949), American equestrian rider with 2 gold medals and two silver in the Olympics
- Davidson Family Research and Compilation 1972, Descendants of George and Margaret Dunne Davidson by Margaret Davidson.
- Davidson Genealogy by George G. Davidson.
- Davison-Davidson Family Research by Mildred F. Roberts.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
The Davidson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Davidson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 March 2016 at 14:46.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!