on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish, Welsh
Where did the English Davidson family come from? What is the English Davidson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Davidson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Davidson family history?The Davidson surname is a patronymic created from the personal name David.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Davison, Davidson, Davisint, Davisyn, Debison, Dawysone, Dawyson, Davysone, Davyson, Davitson, Dawysown, Davisoun, Davisend, Davidsone, Davidson, Daveysone, Daveyson, Dauyson, Dawysume, Dauysum and many more.
First found in Perth, Scotland, where, in 1219, Johnannes filius Davidis, a merchant in Perth, is mentioned. Some accounts suggest that around 1000 AD the Catti (Chattan) Clan, from whom the Davidson Clan descends, broke into two distinct factions, the MacKintosh and the MacPherson clans. The Davidson Clan was part of the MacPherson element, but always considered itself to be the senior clan of the Chattan group. Records from the Ragman Rolls show Adami fiz Dauid of Forfarshire and Johan le fiz David of Berwickshire rendering homage to King Edward I of England in 1296. Bearers of Davidson were found on both sides of the Scottish-English border. The first estates of the Clan Davidson were at Invernahaven, a small estate in Badenoch, where they were said to be found from the mid 14th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Davidson research. Another 535 words(38 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1350, 1500, 1396, 1411, 1408, 1500, 1466, 1670 and 1411 are included under the topic Early Davidson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Davidson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Davidson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 147 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Davidson, who was sent to Virginia in 1666
- Elizabeth Davidson, who came to Maryland in 1667
- Elizabeth Davidson, who landed in Maryland in 1667
- Peter Davidson, who settled in Maryland in 1684
- Hen Davidson, who arrived in Virginia in 1698
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Davidson, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Alexander Davidson, who arrived in Maryland in 1710
- Alexander Davidson, who landed in Maryland in 1710-1711
- Owen Davidson, a prisoner sent to Yorktown, VA in 1716
- William Davidson, who came to Maryland in 1716
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Jas Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Robt Davidson, who arrived in America in 1804-1805
- Wm Davidson, who arrived in America in 1806
- John Davidson, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1811
Davidson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louis Davidson, who landed in Mississippi in 1903
- Walter Septimus Davidson, who landed in Alabama in 1919
- Archibald Davidson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1922
Davidson Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Capt. Davidson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Capt Davidson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Ewer Davidson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mr. Hamilton Davidson U.E. (b. 1748) who settled in Parr Town [Saint John], New Brunswick c. 1784 he died in 1840 in Dumfries, York County, New Brunswick
- Isabella Davidson, who came to Ontario in 1793
Davidson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thos Davidson, who arrived in Canada in 1820
- William Davidson, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the schooner "Sarah" from Belfast
- Sarah Davidson, aged 20, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the schooner "Sarah" from Belfast
- Catherine Davidson, aged 45, landed in Quebec in 1835
- Catherine Davidson, age 45 who arrived in Quebec in 1835
Davidson Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- J G Davidson, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Davidson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Davidson, English convict from Cumberland, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on September 3rd, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- Ann Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
- Charlotte Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
- George Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
- Marion Scott Davidson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
Davidson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Davidson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- William Davidson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Whitby" in 1841
- John Davidson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avon" in 1860
- Frederick W. Davidson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1861
- Annie Davidson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1861
- Lieutenant General Phillip Buford Davidson Jr. (1915-1996), American officer who served in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War
- Ernest R. Davidson (b. 1936), American Professor of Chemistry awarded the President's National Medal of Science in 2001
- Donald Herbert Davidson (1917-2003), American philosopher
- John Davidson Sr. (b. 1941), American singer, actor and game show host
- Bruce Davidson (b. 1949), American equestrian rider with 2 gold medals and two silver in the Olympics
- George Davidson (1825-1911), American (English born) geographer and astronomer
- Richard K Davidson (b. 1942), American businessman, Chairman and chief executive officer of Union Pacific Corporation
- Justin Davidson (b. 1966), American classical music and architecture critic awarded the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism
- Arthur Davidson (1881-1950), one of the four original founders of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- Lieutenant-General Garrison Holt Davidson (1904-1992), American Commanding General 1st Army (1962-1964)
- Davidson Family Research and Compilation 1972, Descendants of George and Margaret Dunne Davidson by Margaret Davidson.
- Davidson Genealogy by George G. Davidson.
- Davison-Davidson Family Research by Mildred F. Roberts.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Davidson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Davidson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 February 2015 at 14:22.
on orders of $85 or more