on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Irish name Coyle was originally written in a Gaelic form as Mac Giolla Chomhgaill, denoting a devotee of St. Comgal.
The surname Coyle was first found in Donegal
(Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland
in the province of Ulster
, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
A name was often recorded during the Middle Ages under several different spelling variations during the life of its bearer because literacy was rare there was no real push to clearly define any of the languages found in the British Isles at that time. Variations found of the name Coyle include Coyle, Coyl, Coyles, M'Illhoyle, Coile, Coil, M'Coyle, O'Coyle, Coiles, Coyls, Coils, Koyle, Koyles, Koyl, Koill, Koiles, Coylle, Coylles and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coyle research. Another 444 words (32 lines of text) covering the year 1641 is included under the topic Early Coyle History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coyle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible. Ireland
became inhospitable for many native Irish families
in the 19th centuries. Poverty, lack of opportunities, high rents, and discrimination forced thousands to leave the island for North Ameri ca.
The largest exodus of Irish settlers occurred with the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. For these immigrants the journey to British North America and the United States was long and dangerous and many did not live to see the shores of those new lands. Those who did make it were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest and most powerful nations of the world. These Irish immigrants were not only important for peopling the new settlements and cities, they also provided the manpower needed for the many industrial and agricultural projects so essential to these growing nations. Immigration and passenger lists have documented the arrival of various people bearing the name Coyle to North America:
Coyle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Coyle, who landed in Virginia in 1705
Coyle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hugh Coyle, who arrived in America in 1805
- Dennis Coyle, aged 30, arrived in New York in 1812
- Francis Coyle, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Catherine Coyle, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- Daniel Coyle, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
Coyle Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James Winston Coyle, who landed in Alabama in 1924
Coyle Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Coyle arrived in Petty Harbour, Newfoundland in 1789
Coyle Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Patt Coyle, aged 35, landed in Quebec in 1833
- Sally Coyle, aged 33, landed in Quebec in 1833
- Alexander Coyle, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1833 aboard the brig "Ugoni" from Belfast, Ireland
- Hugh Coyle, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1833 aboard the brig "Ugoni" from Belfast, Ireland
- Mary Coyle, aged 6, arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1833 aboard the brig "Ugoni" from Belfast, Ireland
Coyle Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J. Coyle arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Mary White" in 1844
- Mary Coyle, aged 30, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "William Hammond"
- Patrick Coyle, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Royal Albert"
Coyle Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- M Coyle landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1842
- William R. Coyle (1878-1962), American politician from Pennsylvania, U.S. Representative 1925–33
- Rose Coyle (1914-1988), American beauty queen, Miss America 1936
- Michael Coyle (b. 1957), American composer
- John Coyle (b. 1968), American speed skater
- James Coyle (1873-1921), American Roman Catholic priest
- Harold Coyle (b. 1952), American author of war novels (Team Yankee)
- Frank Coyle (1886-1947), American Olympic track and field athlete
- Eric Coyle (b. 1963), American professional NFL football player
- Denise Coyle (b. 1953), American politician from New Jersey, State Legislator since 2008
- Charlie Coyle (b. 1992), American NHL ice hockey player
- Patricia Mary Coyle (1968-1988), American Student from Wallingford, Connecticut, America, who flew aboard the Pan Am Flight 103 from Frankfurt to Detroit, known as the Lockerbie bombing in 1988 and died
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Coyle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Coyle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 May 2016 at 16:09.
on orders of $85 or more