In Scottish history, few names go farther back than Clunes, whose ancestors lived among the clans of the Pictish tribe. They lived in the lands of Clunie in Stormmot, Perthshire
where the name can be found since very early times.
Early Origins of the Clunes family
The surname Clunes was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Clunes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clunes research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1214 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Clunes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Clunes Spelling Variations
The arts of spelling and translation were yet in their infancies when surnames began, so there are an enormous number of spelling variations
of the names in early Scottish records. This is a particular problem with Scottish names because of the numerous times a name might have been loosely translated to English from Gaelic and back. Clunes has been spelled Clunie, Clooney, Cloon, Cloone, Clowney, Clune, Cluney, Clunis and many more.
Early Notables of the Clunes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Clunes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Clunes family to the New World and Oceana
This oppression forced many Scots to leave their homelands. Most of these chose North America as their destination. Although the journey left many sick and poor, these immigrants were welcomed the hardy with great opportunity. Many of these settlers stood up for their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence
. More recently, Scots abroad have recovered much of their collective heritage through highland games and other patriotic functions and groups. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has located various settlers bearing the name Clunes:
Clunes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mrs. Clunes, aged 44, who emigrated to America from Aberdeen, in 1892
- Mrs. James Clunes, aged 40, who landed in America from London, in 1892
Clunes Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Gordon Clunes, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1906
- James Clunes, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- James Clunes, aged 55, who settled in America from London, England, in 1912
- John Clunes, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1912
- Michael Clunes, aged 68, who landed in America, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Clunes (post 1700)
- Alexander "Alec" Demoro Sherriff Clunes (1912-1970), English actor and stage manager
- Alexander Martin Clunes (b. 1961), English actor and comedian