The Clendenen surname was taken on from the place name Glendonwyne, a parish of Westkirk, Dumfries, on record since the 14th century.
Early Origins of the Clendenen family
The surname Clendenen was first found in Roxburghshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Clendenen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clendenen research.Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1451, 1667, 1408, 1387, 1388 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Clendenen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Clendenen Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Glendinning, Glendowyn, Glendowyne, Glendonyn, Glendonwyn, Glendening, Glendon, Glenden, Glendin, Glendining, Glendinnin, Glendyning, Glendounn, Clendenning, Clendinning and many more.
Early Notables of the Clendenen family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Matthew de Glendonwyn (d. 1408), late 14th and early 15th century bishop of Glasgow, elected to the see after the death of Cardinal Walter Wardlaw, his predecessor as bishop, elected sometime between Wardlaw's death in September and Matthew's first appearance as bishop-elect in... Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Clendenen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Clendenen family to Ireland
Some of the Clendenen family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Clendenen family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Clendenen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alexander Clendenen, who settled in New York in 1807
Clendenen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hilda Marian Clendenen, aged 17, who landed in America from Barbados, in 1906
- Henry Clendenen, aged 32, who settled in America from Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, in 1907
- Mary J. Clendenen, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Mary Clendenen, aged 29, who arrived at New York City, in 1912
- Florence Clendenen, aged 15, who emigrated to Hudson, N. Y., in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Clendenen (post 1700)
- Jim Clendenen, American winemaker, owner of Au Bon Climat in Santa Maria, California
- J. G. Clendenen, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Greenbrier County, 1954, 1962 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html