The origins of the Chidgey name come from when the Anglo-Saxon
tribes ruled over Britain. The name Chidgey was originally derived from a family having lived in the parish of Chedzoy, near Bridgewater in the county of Somerset
. Chidgey belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation
names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Chidgey family
The surname Chidgey was first found in Somerset
where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Chidgey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chidgey research.Another 154 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1349, 1369, 1574, and 1778 are included under the topic Early Chidgey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Chidgey Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago, spelling variations
of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Chidgey include Chedzoy, Chedzey, Chidzoy, Chedgey, Chedsey, Chidgey, Chidsey, Chedesy and many more.
Early Notables of the Chidgey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Chidgey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Chidgey family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Chidgey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James Chidgey, aged 63, who landed in America from Cheltenham, in 1903
- Percy O. Chidgey, aged 20, who landed in America from Bristol, England, in 1910
- Arthur Chidgey, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Milton Regis, England, in 1912
- John Chidgey, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Bridgewater, England, in 1913
- Francis W. Chidgey, aged 3, who landed in America from Bristol, England, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Chidgey (post 1700)
- Harry Chidgey (b. 1879), English first-class cricketer and test match umpire
- David Chidgey (b. 1942), Baron Chidgey, Liberal Democrat politician in the United Kingdom
- Catherine Chidgey (b. 1970), New Zealand novelist and writer, recipient of the Adam Foundation Prize in 1997
Chidgey Family Crest Products