The annals of Scottish history suggest that the ancestors of the name Byars lived among the Boernician
tribe of the Scottish-English border region. The Byars family lived in or near the place named Byers in Scotland
. The place-name, Byers, derives from the Old English word byre,
which means cattle shed.
Thus, Byers is of two derivations, topographical and habitational. Topographic
surnames could be given to a person who lived beside any physical feature, such as a hill, stream, church or type of tree. Habitation
names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local
names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties.
Early Origins of the Byars family
The surname Byars was first found in East Lothian
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times. One of the first records of the name related to the place name as in David de Lindsay the younger, also called David Lindsay of the Byres (died 1279), a 13th century Scottish knight and crusader. Today, Byres Road is a famous street located in Hillhead, Glasgow.
Early History of the Byars family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Byars research.Another 131 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1309, 1392, 1534, 1593, 1653, 1639 and 1694 are included under the topic Early Byars History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Byars Spelling Variations
In the Middles Ages scribes spelled names by their sound. Often a name was written under a different spelling variation each time it was recorded. Byars has appeared as Byers, Byres, Byer, Buyers, Byris and others.
Early Notables of the Byars family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Byars Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Byars family to Ireland
Some of the Byars family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Byars family to the New World and Oceana
The ancestors of Boernician-Scottish settlers dot North America even today. They settled all along the east coast when they came over, but some went north as United Empire Loyalists at the time of the War of Independence
. However, these strong lines endured as Scottish families in the United States and Canada have rediscovered much of the heritage that was taken from them centuries ago. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America carried the name Byars, or a variant listed above:
Byars Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- W.A. Byars, aged 36, who emigrated to America, in 1893
Byars Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mrs Byars, aged 30, who settled in America from Johnston, in 1900
- James Byars, aged 1, who landed in America from Johnston, in 1900
- Malcolm Byars, aged 35, who landed in America from Kilmarnock, in 1900
- Geo. Byars, aged 26, who landed in America from Edzell, Scotland, in 1904
- Robert Byars, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1905
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Byars (post 1700)
- Dennis Byars (b. 1940), American politician, Nebraska state senator
- Mel Byars (b. 1938), American design historian
- Keith Alan Byars (b. 1963), American sports broadcaster, former American NFL football player
- Betsy Cromer Byars (b. 1928), American Edgar Award winning author of children's books
- Derrick JaVaughn Byars (b. 1984), American professional basketball player
- William Byars Samson (b. 1943), Scottish astronomer, academic, computer scientist and a researcher
Suggested Readings for the name Byars
- Byars Family History: With Information or Records on...Allied Lines by Nell Byars Thaten.
Byars Family Crest Products