100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Bostwick family come from? What is the English Bostwick family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bostwick family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bostwick family history?In ancient Anglo-Saxon England, the ancestors of the Bostwick surname lived in Cheshire, where they derived their name from the township of Bostock, in the parish of Davenham.
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Bostwick are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Bostwick include: Bostock, Bowstock, Boast, Bostake, Bostick and many more.
First found in Cheshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bostwick research. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1593, 1654, 1773 and 1846 are included under the topic Early Bostwick History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bostwick Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Bostwick or a variant listed above:
Bostwick Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Arthur Bostwick, who landed in Connecticut in 1640
Bostwick Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin S Bostwick, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1812
Bostwick Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Isaac Bostwick U.E who settled in Canada c. 1783
- George Herbert "Pete" Bostwick (1909-1982), American court tennis player, a steeplechase jockey and horse trainer, and polo player
- Jabez Abel Bostwick (1830-1892), American businessman, founding partner of Standard Oil
- Dorothy Stokes Bostwick Smith Campbell (1899-2001), American heiress and author who became the first woman in the United States to hold a helicopter pilot's license
- Scott Bostwick (1961-2011), American football player and coach, AFCA Division II Assistant Coach of the Year (2007)
- Frank Matteson Bostwick (1857-1945), American Commodore in the United States Navy
- Arthur Elmore Bostwick (1860-1942), American librarian and author
- Jackson Leonard Bostwick (b. 1943), American actor, best known for his role as Captain Marvel in the first season of the Shazam! television series in 1974-1975
- Albert Carlton Bostwick (1876-1911), American philanthropist, Thoroughbred racehorse owner, breeder and trainer
- Barry Bostwick (b. 1945), American Tony Award winning actor, known for playing Brad Majors in the 1975 cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Robert Bostwick, American admiral and naval strategist, chief of naval operations from 1953-1955
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Bostwick Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bostwick Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 June 2015 at 18:08.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!