Bodmer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Bodmer is of local derivation. The family name is derived from the place name Bodmann, a barony on the shores of the Lake of Constance, which straddles the German, Swiss, and Austrian borders. Many German family names were derived from the names of small villages, royal or noble households, and even large religious dwellings and monasteries.
Early Origins of the Bodmer family
The surname Bodmer was first found in Swabia, where the family is considered to have made a great early contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of early development of Europe. The name became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile. Ancient chronicles suggest that the oldest and most prominent line of the family stems from the old counts of Lindau on Lake Constance. Indeed, the founding father was made count of the castle Bodmann on Lake Constance by Duke Varin of Alemania in the year 720 A.D. Around 930 A.D., Caspar von Bodmann distinguished himself under Kaiser Heinrich I in battles against the Hungarian tribes. In the 10th century, the family split into two main lines, the Bodmann and the Hohen-Bodmann, the latter having their seat in the village of the same name on Lake Ueberling.
Early History of the Bodmer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bodmer research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1651, 1686, 1691, and 1801 are included under the topic Early Bodmer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bodmer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bodmann, Bodman, Boddmann, Boddman, Baudmann, Baudman, Bauddmann and many more.
Early Notables of the Bodmer family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bodmer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bodmer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bodmer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Rudolf Bodmer, who landed in Carolina in 1738 
Bodmer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karl Bodmer, who arrived in America in 1834 
- Paul Bodmer, aged 30, who landed in New York in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Bodmer (post 1700) +
- Karl Bodmer (1809-1893), Swiss painter of the American West
- Sir Walter Bodmer (b. 1936), German-born British geneticist, winner of the 1994 Michael Faraday Prize
- Mathieu Bodmer (b. 1982), French footballer
- Johann Georg Bodmer (1786-1864), prolific Swiss inventor, making contributions to areas ranging from weaponry to steam engines, textile manufacture, and railroad construction
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)