The annals of Scottish history reveal that Belli was first used as a name by ancestors of the Pictish tribe of ancient Scotland
. The Belli family lived in Bellie, in Morayshire
. The name is a topographic
surname, which was given to a family who held a barony or lands, had houses, manors or estates in that area. Some think that the name is derived from the occupational
name of bailie, but our records cannot confirm that claim. Indeed much of the early records list many of the family in other occupations.
Early Origins of the Belli family
The surname Belli was first found in Moray, where they held a family seat
from very early times.
Early History of the Belli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Belli research.Another 136 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1598, 1643, 1648, 1650 and 1743 are included under the topic Early Belli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belli Spelling Variations
Before the first dictionaries appeared in the last few hundred
years, scribes spelled according to sound. spelling variations
are common among Scottish names. Belli has been spelled Bellie, Belley, Bealie, Beeley, Belley, Bely, Beayly, Beyley, Beilley, Bealy, Bellye, Belly and many more.
Early Notables of the Belli family (pre 1700)
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Belli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Belli family to the New World and Oceana
In those unstable times, many had no choice but to leave their beloved homelands. Sickness and poverty hounded travelers to North America, but those who made it were welcomed with land and opportunity. These settlers gave the young nations of Canada and the United States a strong backbone as they stood up for their beliefs as United Empire Loyalists and in the American War of Independence
. In this century, the ancestors of these brave Scots have begun to recover their illustrious heritage through Clan
societies and other heritage organizations. Early passenger and immigration lists reveal many Scottish settlers bearing the name Belli:
Belli Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Belli, who arrived in Georgia sometime between 1733 and 1783
- Waters Belli, who settled in Missouri in 1793
Belli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Belli, who settled in New Orleans sometime between 1846 and 1856
- Charles Belli, who settled in California in 1879
Belli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Eduardo Belli, who settled in New York sometime between 1884 and 1915
Contemporary Notables of the name Belli (post 1700)
- Remo Delmo Belli (1927-2016), American jazz drummer and innovator who developed the first successful synthetic drumheads, founder of the Remo company in 1957
- Mary Lou Belli, American television director and author
- Major John Belli, Quartermaster General of the U.S. Army from 1792 to 1794
- Melvin Mouron Belli (1907-1996), American lawyer, known for his celebrity clients
- Frank Belli, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1964
- Francis Belli, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Palermo, 1884
- Carmen M. Belli, American politician, Mayor of Garfield, New Jersey, 1950-53
- Laura Belli (b. 1947), Italian actress and singer
- Pierangelo Belli (b. 1944), retired Italian professional football player