The Becky family saga is rooted in the people of the Pictish Clan
of ancient Scotland
. The Becky family lived in the county of Angus
at the old manor of Baike.
Early Origins of the Becky family
The surname Becky was first found in Angus
(Gaelic: Aonghas), part of the Tayside region of northeastern Scotland
, and present day Council Area of Angus
, formerly known as Forfar or Forfarshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times as Lords of the manor of Baikie. However, by the 14th century this family appears to have moved north to the Orkneys where they became a prominent family.
Early History of the Becky family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Becky research.Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1600 and 1697 are included under the topic Early Becky History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Becky Spelling Variations
Prior to the invention of the printing press in the last hundred
years, documents were basically unique. Names were written according to sound, and often appeared differently each time they were recorded. Spelling variations
of the name Becky include Backie, Baikie, Bakey, Baikey, Baky, Baickie and others.
Early Notables of the Becky family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Becky Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Becky family to the New World and Oceana
The freedom of the North American colonies was enticing, and many Scots left to make the great crossing. It was a long and hard journey, but its reward was a place where there was more land than people and tolerance was far easier to come by. Many of these people came together to fight for a new nation in the American War of Independence
, while others remained loyal to the old order as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of Scots in North America have recovered much of this heritage in the 20th century through Clan
societies and other such organizations. A search of immigration and passenger lists revealed many important and early immigrants to North America bearing the name of Becky: Lennard Baickie who landed in America in 1712.
Contemporary Notables of the name Becky (post 1700)
- Becky Cosford (b. 1986), Canadian silver medalist pair skater at the 2007 Ondrej Nepela Memorial
- Becky Hogge (b. 1979), British music and technology writer
- Becky Hennon, American actress, known for Little Parents, First Baby (2009), Little Parents, Big Pregnancy and Our Little Life (2010)
- Becky Hobbs (b. 1950), American country music singer, songwriter and pianist
- Becky Wahlstrom (b. 1975), American actress, known for her roles in Joan of Arcadia (2003), The Opposite of Sex (1998) and Sorority (1999)
- Becky Kellar (b. 1975), Canadian seven-time gold and four-time silver medalist women's ice hockey player
- Becky Jago (b. 1976), born Rebecca Gunton, a British television news presenter
- Becky Hindley, English television, stage and radio actress
- Becky Iverson (b. 1967), American professional golfer
- Becky Muncy, American award-winning musician and an elementary school music teacher