on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Noble surnames, such as Barbosa, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Barbosa, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain
, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Many Spanish local names reflect Arabic words or place-names because Spain
was conquered by the Muslim Moors
from the 8th to 12th centuries. The Barbosa family lived in the region of Barbarius, in the province of Tarragona.
The surname Barbosa was first found in Castile
, prominent among the medieval Christian kingdoms of Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barba, Barbo, Barbado, Barbada, de Barbada, Barbachano, Barbadillo, Barbón, Barbon, Barbosa, Barboso, Barbero, Barbera, Barberán, Barberan, Barbería, Barberia, Barbasán and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barbosa research. Another 406 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1127, 1394, 1529, 1539, 1590, and 1650 are included under the topic Early Barbosa History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barbosa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Barbosa Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso Barbosa, who arrived in America in 1812
- Francisco Barbosa, aged 49, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
Barbosa Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agostinha Carria Barbosa, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1902
- Antonio Barbosa, aged 13, who emigrated to the United States from St. Michael's, in 1902
- Andres Barbosa, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1918
- Antonio G. Barbosa, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1920
- Aristides Barbosa, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1923
- Francisco Domingo Barbosa Da Silveira (1944-2015), Roman Catholic bishop in Uruguay
- Cédric Barbosa (b. 1976), French professional football player
- Everaldo Vergne de Assis Barbosa (b. 1975), Brazilian football midfielder
- Jorge Vera-Cruz Barbosa (1902-1971), Cape Verdean poet and writer
- Euclydes Barbosa (1909-1988), Brazilian football defender
- Moacyr Barbosa (1921-2000), Brazilian football goalkeeper
- Leandro Mateus Barbosa (b. 1982), Brazilian NBA professional basketball player
- José Luíz Barbosa (b. 1961), Brazilian two-time gold medalist runner
- César Barbosa (b. 1954), Colombian biologist, ornithologist and botanist
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
This page was last modified on 7 May 2016 at 15:30.
on orders of $85 or more