BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Zastrow family come from? What is the German Zastrow family crest and coat of arms? When did the Zastrow family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Zastrow family history?The roots of the distinguished surname Zastrow lie on the Baltic coast of Pomerania. The name is derived from "Zastrow," the name of a city in Pomerania, and was most likely originally borne by a resident of the city.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Zastrow, Zasterow, von Zastrow and others.
First found in Pomerania, where it is believed to have emerged. During the Middle Ages, it was common practice for a new resident of a town to be identified by the name of his native city; thus, Zastrow may have been initially borne as a surname by someone who had migrated from Zastrow to another city. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Conradus de Zasterow, who lived in Greifswald in 1270.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zastrow research. Another 172 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1594 and 1636 are included under the topic Early Zastrow History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zastrow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Martin Friedrich Zastrow and his wife Dorothea
Zastrow Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Gottlieb Friedrich Zastrow, aged 48, landed in America in 1845-1846
- Martin Friedrich Zastrow, aged 42, landed in America in 1845
- Wilhelmine Zastrow, aged 36, arrived in America in 1845
- Karl Friedrich Zastrow, aged 37, arrived in America in 1846
- Julius Frenand Zastrow, who was naturalized in South Dakota in 1849
- Charles Harold Zastrow (b. 1942), American social scientist, Professor of Social Work at the George Williams College of the Aurora University
- Charlotte Zastrow (1877-1946), well-known German writer
- Mitja Kolia Zastrow (b. 1977), German-born Dutch swimmer and Olympic medalist
- Alexander Friedrich Adolf Heinrich von Zastrow (1801-1875), Prussian general in the Austro-Prussian War and the Franco-German War, son of Alexander Heinrich Gebhard von Zastrow
- Holger Zastrow (b. 1969), German politician of the liberal Free Democratic Party of Germany
- Colonel Alexander Heinrich Gebhard von Zastrow (1768-1815), Prussian officer during the Napoleonic Wars
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Zastrow Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Zastrow Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 June 2014 at 14:51.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is