BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Yount family come from? What is the English Yount family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yount family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yount family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Yount, Yvount, Yvounet, Yound and others.
First found in Middlesex where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held lands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yount research. Another 256 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Yount History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Yount Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Yount Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Yount, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Ducky Yount (1885-1970), American professional MLB baseball player
- Larry Yount (b. 1950), American professional baseball player
- Miles Franklin Yount (1880-1933), American oil baron
- Robin Yount (b. 1955), American professional MLB baseball player
- Harry Yount (1837-1924), American mountain man; first park ranger of Yellowstone National Park
- Robin Yount (b. 1955), Major League Baseball player
- A Brief Sketch of the Origin of the Yount Family in America by William Calvin Yount.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Yount Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yount Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 August 2012 at 16:57.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is