BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Yeoman family come from? What is the English Yeoman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yeoman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yeoman family history?The Yeoman name was originally an Anglo-Saxon name that was given to a free landholder.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Yeoman has undergone many spelling variations, including Yeoman, Yeomans, Yoemans and others.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very early times, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yeoman research. Another 107 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 156 and 1565 are included under the topic Early Yeoman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Yeoman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Yeoman were among those contributors:
Yeoman Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Yeoman settled in Virginia in 1622
- Robert Yeoman, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Tho Yeoman, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- George Yeoman settled in Virginia in 1638
- Cesar Yeoman, who landed in Virginia in 1652
Yeoman Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Yeoman settled in New England in 1718
- Bill Yeoman (b. 1927), American head football coach University of Houston, invented the veer offense, inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame (2001)
- Robert David Yeoman (b. 1951), American Independent Spirit Award winning cinematographer and director of photography
- Ashley Yeoman (b. 1992), English footballer
- Foster Yeoman, English businessman who founded Foster Yeoman Limited, one of Europe's largest quarrying and asphalt companies in 1923
- Percival Yeoman, Australian Landscape Architect
- William Yeoman, Athletic Coach
- Owain Sebastian Yeoman (b. 1978), Welsh actor from Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales, best known for his role as Agent Wayne Rigsby in The Mentalist
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Yeoman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yeoman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 December 2012 at 23:19.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is