100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Yardley family come from? What is the English Yardley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yardley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yardley family history?The ancient roots of the Yardley family name are in the Anglo-Saxon culture. The name Yardley comes from when the family lived in Yardley, a place-name found in several locations throughout England.
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Yardley has appeared include Yardley, Yardeley, Yeardley, Yardly and others.
First found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, before and after the Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yardley research. Another 115 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 1632 and 1693 are included under the topic Early Yardley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 43 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Yardley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Yardley arrived in North America very early:
Yardley Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Argall Yardley settled in Virginia in 1623
- Argall Yardley, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- Ann Yardley settled in Virginia in 1652
- Anne Yardley, who landed in Virginia in 1652
- William Yardley, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1682
Yardley Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Yardley, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1704
- Elizabeth, Enoch, Jane, and John Yardley settled in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Jim Yardley (b. 1964), American journalist, winner of the Pulitzer Prize 1994
- Jonathan Yardley (b. 1939), American journalist and book critic, Pulitzer Prize winner (Criticism) in 1981
- Herbert Osborne Yardley (1889-1958), American cryptologist
- Robert Morris Yardley (1850-1902), Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania
- Stephen Yardley (b. 1942), English actor noted for the 1980's drama "Howards' Way"
- Jim Yardley (1946-2010), English cricket player
- James "Jimmy" Yardley (1903-1959), Scottish professional footballer
- Mark Yardley (b. 1969), Scottish former professional footballer
- Vanessa Yardley, Australian scriptwriter
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
The Yardley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yardley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 January 2013 at 19:18.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!