100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Wright family come from? What is the English Wright family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wright family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wright family history?The ancestors of the Wright family lived among an ancient Scottish people called the Boernicians. The name Wright is derived from the Old English "wyrhta," meaning "worker," or, specifically, "woodworker, carpenter, craftsman," and was used to refer to a carpenter. In medieval rolls, the name was often Latinized as Faber.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wright, Right, Write, Wrighte and others.
First found in Berwickshire, where the Wright family held a seat from ancient times. Some of the earliest records include Ralph Wright, burgess of Stirling, and Thomas Wright of Blakenhall in Lanarkshire, who rendered homage to King Edward I of England in 1296 on his brief conquest of Scotland.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wright research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1342, 1590, 1657, 1602, 1658, 1609, 1623, 1637, 1664, 1660, 1664, 1615, 1683, 1670, 1685, 1634, 1689, 1687, 1689, 1611, 1690, 1675, 1682, 1654, 1721 and are included under the topic Early Wright History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 295 words(21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wright Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Wright family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wright Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Wright, who settled in Virginia in 1623 with his wife
- Horten Wright, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- Richard Wright and his wife Margaret, who arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1630 with their daughter
- Alice Wright, aged 21, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Henry Wright, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1635
Wright Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Dionisius Wright, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- George Wright, who arrived in Leeward Islands in 1705
- John Wright, who immigrated Georgia in 1732
- Archibald Wright, who arrived in Georgia in 1744
- Andrew Wright, aged 20, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1774
Wright Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Wright, who landed in America in 1806
- Catherine Wright, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Hanse Wright, aged 40, landed in Tennessee in 1812
- Absolom Wright, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1820
- Daniel Wright, who landed in New York in 1836
- Sewall Wright (1889-1988), American geneticist awarded the Darwin Medal in 1980
- Rayfield Wright (b. 1945), American football player
- Wilbur Wright (1867-1929), American aviation pioneer
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959), prominent and influential American architect
- Orville Wright (1871-1948), American airplane pioneer
- Philip Quincy Wright (1890-1970), American international lawyer
- Richard Wright (1908-1960), American novelist
- Lawrence Wright (b. 1947), American author and screenwriter awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
- Doug Wright (b. 1962), American playwright, librettist, and screenwriter awarded the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for Drama
- Franz Wright (b. 1953), Pulitzer Prize-winning (2004) American poet
- Wright's 400 Years-Plus: 13 Generation Family by Larry C. Wright.
- Ancestry of William Henry Wright and Wife Poll Ann Royal and Their Descendants by Watie Delfa Wright Ellis.
- Captain William Upshaw, Gent., Planter of Virginia by Sophie W. Upshaw.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Wright Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wright Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 February 2014 at 14:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!