BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Wren family come from? What is the English Wren family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wren family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wren family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wren, Wrenn and others.
First found in Durham where they held a family seat from early times, and were originally descended from Ralph de Raines who was granted lands by William, Duke of Albany in that shire. They were originally from Rennes in Normandy where they also held lands from their Lord, William de Aubigny of Belvoir.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wren research. Another 153 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1632, 1723, 1666, 1692, 1585, 1667, 1634, 1635 and 1638 are included under the topic Early Wren History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 135 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wren Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wren Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Peter Wren, who landed in Maryland in 1657
- James Wren, who arrived in Maryland in 1659
- Eliz Wren, who landed in Virginia in 1666
Wren Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jane Wren settled in New York in 1820 with her four children
- Mary Wren, aged 24, arrived in America in 1829
- Bryan Wren, who arrived in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1848
- Marshal Wren, aged 25, landed in New York in 1854
- Susanah Wren, aged 24, landed in New York in 1854
- Robert Duffield "Bob" Wren (1873-1925), American tennis player, four-time U.S. singles championship winner
- Franklin "Frank" Wren (b. 1958), American Major League Baseball executive, general manager of the Atlanta Braves
- Martha Kay "M. K." Wren (b. 1938), American author
- Thomas Wren (1826-1904), American politician, United States Representative from Nevada (1877 to 1879)
- Percival Christopher "P.C." Wren (1875-1941), British novelist best known for "Beau Geste," about life in the French Foreign Legion
- Alan Wren (b. 1964), English rock drummer of The Stone Roses
- Sir Christopher Wren FRS (1632-1723), English architect and scientist
- Matthew Wren (1585-1667), English clergyman and scholar
- John Wren (1871-1953), Australian businessman whose life was fictionalized in Frank Hardy's novel "Power Without Glory"
- Robert "Bob" Wren (b. 1974), Canadian NHL ice hockey player
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Wren Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wren Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 March 2014 at 04:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is