BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Worth family come from? What is the English Worth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Worth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Worth family history?The Worth surname was a habitational name, taken on from any of various places named Worth. The place names in turn come from the Old English "worđ," meaning "enclosure," or "settlement."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Worth, Worthe and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Worth research. Another 231 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1170, 1620, 1600, 1797, 1587, 1659 and 1620 are included under the topic Early Worth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Worth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Worth family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 47 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Worth Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Phillip Worth settled in Virginia in 1622
- Philip Worth, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Lionel Worth settled in Boston in 1630
- John Worth, who settled in Virginia in 1636
- Roger Worth, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Worth Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Frederick Worth, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1760
- Martin Worth, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765
Worth Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Worth, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Wilhelm Worth, aged 30, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- M Worth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Gottlieb Worth, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854
- William Worth, who landed in New York in 1863
- Bobby Worth (1912-2002), American songwriter
- George Worth (1915-2006), American three-time gold, two-time silver and bronze medalist fencer
- H. M. Worth, American discoverer of Worth syndrome genetic disorder
- Irene Worth CBE (1916-2002), American actress
- Jonathan Worth (1802-1869), American politician, 39th Governor of North Carolina (1865 to 1868)
- Marvin Worth (1925-1998), American Oscar nominated film producer
- Michael Worth, American actor
- Nicholas Worth (1937-2007), American actor
- Valerie Worth (1933-1994), penname of Valerie Worth Bahlke, American poet and author of children's books
- William Jenkins Worth (1794-1849), United States general during the Mexican-American War, War of 1812, and Second Seminole War, namesake of Fort Worth, Texas
- A Genealogical History of the Clark & Worth Families and Other Puritan Settlers in the Massachusetts Bay Colony by Carol Clark Johnson.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
The Worth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Worth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 November 2013 at 19:27.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is