BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Woodcock family come from? What is the English Woodcock family crest and coat of arms? When did the Woodcock family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Woodcock family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Woodcock, Woodcocke, Woodkooke, Woodcott, Wudcock and many more.
First found in Buckinghamshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Their ancient Anglo/Saxon name was Wudu-coc.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Woodcock research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1850, 1603 and 1646 are included under the topic Early Woodcock History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Woodcock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Woodcock family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 61 words(4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Woodcock Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Woodcock settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1630
- John Woodcock settled in Boston in 1635
- Joshua Woodcock settled in Bermuda in 1635
- Josua Woodcock, aged 11, landed in Bermuda in 1635
- George Woodcock settled in Virginia in 1636
Woodcock Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Woodcock, who landed in Virginia in 1718
- Robert Woodcock, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727
- Job Woodcock, who arrived in New England in 1761
Woodcock Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Woodcock, aged 38, arrived in Massachusetts in 1812
- Frederick Woodcock, who landed in Arkansas in 1882
Woodcock Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest E Woodcock, who arrived in Arkansas in 1900
- Owen Preston "O.P." Woodcock (b. 1983), American builder, best known for his work with Marsh & Saxelbye
- Leonard Freel Woodcock (1911-2001), President of the United Auto Workers (UAW)
- John A. Woodcock Jr. (b. 1950), United States federal judge
- John Woodcock (1954-1998), American NFL football player
- George Woodcock (1904-1979), English trade union leader
- Anthony Stewart "Tony" Woodcock (b. 1955), retired English international footballer
- Thomas Woodcock VC (1888-1918), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Wilf Woodcock (1892-1966), English footballer
- John Woodcock (1603-1646), English Franciscan martyr
- Bruce Woodcock (1921-1997), English heavyweight boxer, British and Empire heavyweight champion (1945 to 1950)
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Woodcock Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Woodcock Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 November 2012 at 09:58.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is