BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Wilbur family come from? What is the English Wilbur family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wilbur family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wilbur family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wilbur, Willbur, Wilbeorht, Wylbert, Wilbert and others.
First found in Huntingdonshire, where the name appeared in the 13th century. The name Wilbur, like many surnames, comes from a personal name, in this case the Old English name Wilbeorht, which meant "will-bright." The personal version of the name was uncommon, even in its early days and had faded into near non-existence by the time the surname first appeared. Though the personal name did not appear in any records beyond the 11th century, it must have still been in use, probably by peasants, since the Wilbur name no doubt originates from it.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wilbur research. Another 65 words(5 lines of text) covering the years 1279, 1595, 1656, 1622 and 1678 are included under the topic Early Wilbur History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 91 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wilbur Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wilbur Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Wilbur, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1633
Wilbur Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- R B Wilbur, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- M Wilbur, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Curtis Dwight Wilbur (1867-1954), American 43rd Secretary of the Navy
- Ray Lyman Wilbur (1875-1949), American medical doctor, 3rd President of Stanford University, 31st United States Secretary of the Interior
- Richard Purdy Wilbur (b. 1921), American Poetry Laureate and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, 1957 and 1989
- Colonel William Hale Wilbur (1888-1979), American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1942
- Crane Wilbur (1886-1973), American writer, actor and director, best remembered for playing Harry Marvin in The Perils of Pauline (1914)
- Claire "Catt" Wilbur (1933-2004), American actress of stage and screen and Academy Award winning producer
- Shawn P Wilbur, writer and literary reviewer
- Dr. Ronnie Wilbur, Professor of Linguistics
- James Edward Wilbur (1898-1970), British bandleader of the Jay Wilbur and His Band which performed for Allied military service members during World War II
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Wilbur Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wilbur Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 June 2014 at 22:50.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is