100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Widener family come from? What is the German Widener family crest and coat of arms? When did the Widener family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Widener family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weidenaver, Weitnauer, Wiedenaver, Weitaver, Wietnaver, Weidenauer, Wiedenauer, Weidnauer, Wiednauer, Weitenauer, Wietenaver, Weitenaver, Widenaver, Widnaver, Widenauer, Widnauer, Witenaver and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Widener research. Another 212 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Widener History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Widener Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Widener Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- George Adam Widener, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- George Dunton Widener Jr. (1889-1971), American businessman and thoroughbred racehorse owner
- Joseph Early Widener (1871-1943), wealthy American art collector
- Chris Widener, American member of the Ohio Senate
- Harry Elkins Widener (1885-1912), businessman and book collector from the United States
- Hiram Emory Widener Jr. (1923-2007), United States federal judge
- Warren Widener, former Mayor of Berkeley, California
- Chris Widener (b. 1966), American author and speaker
- Mr. George Dunton Widener (d. 1912), aged 50, American First Class passenger from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Mr. Harry Elkins Widener (d. 1912), aged 27, American First Class passenger from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Mrs. Eleanor Widener, (née Elkins), aged 50, American First Class passenger from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 4
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Widener Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Widener Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2014 at 14:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!