BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Whitton family come from? What is the English Whitton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitton, Whitten, Whytten, Whytton, Wytton, Wytten, Witten, Witton, Wyton and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire in the lands of Whitton, in Morebattle parish. The first on record was John Wytton, prior of St. Andrews in 1285 A.D. Michael and Adam Wytton both rendered homage to King Edward I of England in his brief conquest of Scotland in 1296. Michael was chief forester of the Forest of Selkirk. His seal showed a deer running. Richard Wyttone, a dignitary of the Church also rendered homage.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitton research. Another 163 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1165, 1400, 1370, 1303, 1635 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Whitton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 47 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitton Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Whitton who settled in Hingham, Massachusetts in 1635 with his wife Audry and his sons Jeremy and James
- Awdry Whitton, aged 45, arrived in New England in 1635
- Jeremy Whitton, aged 8, landed in New England in 1635
- Thomas Whitton, aged 36, arrived in New England in 1635
- Richard Whitton, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Whitton Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Whitton, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Henry Whitton, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1712
- John Whitton settled in Maryland in 1731
Whitton Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Whitton, who landed in America in 1800
- Francis Whitton, who landed in Virginia in 1884
- Margaret Whitton (b. 1950), American stage, film, and television actress
- Michael Whitton, American film director, best known for his film Exit Strategy (2012)
- Stephen Paul "Steve" Whitton (b. 1960), former English football striker
- John Whitton (1820-1898), Australian Engineer-in-Charge for the New South Wales Railways, eponym of Whitton, New South Wales
- Charlotte Elizabeth Whitton OC, CBE (1896-1975), Canadian feminist, 46th Mayor of Ottawa, first female mayor of a major city in Canada
- Donald Richard "Don" Whitton (b. 1923), Canadian concert cellist
- Ivo Harrington Whitton (1893-1967), Australian amateur golfer, the only Australian to have won the Australian Open five times
- Geoff Whitton (b. 1942), former Australian rules footballer
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Whitton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 July 2014 at 01:01.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is