BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whittington family come from? What is the English Whittington family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whittington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whittington family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitington, Whittington, Whyttington and others.
First found in Derbyshire where they held a family seat from ancient times, and were Lords of the manor of Whittington in Derbyshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whittington research. Another 269 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1320, 1480, 1553, 1354, 1423, 1397, 1406 and 1419 are included under the topic Early Whittington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 109 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whittington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whittington Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Stephen Whittington who settled in St. Christopher in 1633
- Stephen Whittington, aged 20, landed in St Christopher in 1633
- Richard Whittington, who arrived in New England in 1646
- Francis Whittington, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- Wm Whittington, who arrived in Virginia in 1653
Whittington Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Whittington settled in Maryland in 1774
- Reginald Donald "Don" Whittington (b. 1946), former American racing driver from Lubbock, Texas
- Khadijah Ameenah Whittington (b. 1986), American professional basketball player
- Volney Voss "V.V." Whittington (1893-1974), American banker and politician, Democratic member of the Louisiana State Senate from 1928 to 1932
- William Madison Whittington (1878-1962), American politician, Democratic politician from Mississippi
- Charles Whittington, Chamberlain of London
- Professor Harry Whittington, American geologist
- Sergeant Hulon B Whittington, American soldier who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Andrew Whittington (b. 1971), Australian former rugby league player
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Sapere aude
Motto Translation: Dare to be wise.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Whittington Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whittington Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 January 2014 at 21:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is