100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whitt family come from? What is the English Whitt family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitt family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitt family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wytt, Witt, Witts, Wyght, Wythe, Wicht and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, before and after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name was originally spelt Uuit which became Witt.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitt research. Another 310 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and 1364 are included under the topic Early Whitt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Whitt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitt Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Whitt, who arrived in Virginia in 1622
- William Whitt, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- Edmond Whitt, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Jereme Whitt, who landed in Virginia in 1623
Whitt Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- E. Whitt, aged 33, who emigrated to America from London, in 1892
Whitt Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Henry G. Whitt, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1905
- Nellie M. Whitt, aged 56, who settled in America, in 1914
- Martin Whitt, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1915
- John Whitt, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Nottingham, England in 1919
- Reginald Whitt, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1922
- Don Whitt (b. 1930), American PGA professional golfer in the 1950s and 1960s, winner of the 1959 Memphis Open, Kentucky Derby Open
- Leo Ernest "Ernie" Whitt (b. 1952), American former Major League Baseball catcher and coach
- Cole Whitt (b. 1991), American stock car driver
- Brandon Whitt (b. 1982), American NASCAR driver, winner of the 2005 O'Reilly 200
- Robert Leslie "Les" Whitt (1951-2008), American award-winning director of Alexandria Zoological Park in Alexandria, Louisiana
- Joe Whitt Jr., American cornerbacks coach of the NFL Green Bay Packers
- Jack Bryan Whitt (b. 1990), American gold medalist pole vaulter at the 2009 Pan American Junior Championships
- William B. "W.B." Whitt (b. 1926), American politician, the 20th Mayor of Ashland, Kentucky
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Whitt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 July 2014 at 11:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!