100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English-Alt, English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Whitson family come from? What is the Scottish Whitson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whiston, Wiston and others.
First found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat from ancient times in the reign of King Malcolm IV in 1153, in the village of Wicestun.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitson research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1100, 1260, 1292, 1300 and 1358 are included under the topic Early Whitson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Whitson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Whitson, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
- Ann Whitson, who landed in Virginia in 1654
Whitson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Ephraim Whitson, aged 26, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ephraim Whitson, who arrived in New York in 1812 at the age of 26
Whitson Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- John Whitson, aged 35, who landed in America from Blakeney, Gloucestershire, in 1905
- John Whitson, aged 27, who landed in America from Selkirk, Scotland, in 1905
- Beatrice Whitson, aged 18, who emigrated to America from Small Heath, in 1906
- Georges Whitson, aged 25, who landed in America from Walkends, England, in 1907
- Helen Whitson, aged 25, who settled in America from Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1907
- Peggy Annette Whitson PH.D. (b. 1960), American biochemistry researcher, NASA Astronaut with over a year in space
- Eddie Lee "Ed" Whitson (b. 1955), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1977 to 1991
- Beth Slater Whitson (1879-1930), American lyricist, best remembered for the songs "Meet Me Tonight in Dreamland" (1909) and "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (1910)
- Richard Shay Whitson (b. 1986), American professional mixed martial arts fighter
- Frank Whitson (1877-1946), American film actor who appeared in 66 films between 1915 and 1937
- Edward Whitson (1852-1910), United States federal judge who was nominated by President Theodore Roosevelt
- Susan Dryden Whitson, American press secretary to First Lady Laura Bush
- Ron Whitson, Transylvanian basketball player
- Russell James Whitson, Canadian provincial politician, Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta (1955-1959)
- Thomas Thompson "Tony" Whitson (1885-1945), South African professional footballer
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
The Whitson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 March 2014 at 15:25.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!