100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whitmore family come from? What is the English Whitmore family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitmore family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitmore family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitmore, Whitmer, Whytemere, Whitemore, Whittimere, Whittimore and many more.
First found in Staffordshire where Whitmore is a parish in the union Newcastle-under-Lyme in the hundred of Pirehill and dates back to the Domesday Book  where it was listed as Witemore. The name was derived from the Old English words hwit + mor which collectively mean "white moor or marsh"  The parish has remained rather small in population as in 1873 it listed only 367 inhabitants. Whitmore Hall, is still standing today and was held by the Whitmore family until the 16th century when Alice Boghay, a Whitmore heiress married Edward Mainwaring of Biddulph. From then on, it passed to the Cavenagh-Mainwaring family who still hold the hall as a private residence today.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitmore research. Another 223 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1620, 1572, 1648, 1620, 1593, 1612, 1653, 1640, 1637, 1699, 1661, 1599, 1677, 1659, 1677, 1666 and 1695 are included under the topic Early Whitmore History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 197 words(14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitmore Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitmore family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 35 words(2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitmore Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Whitmore settled in Virginia in 1623
- Robert Whitmore, who landed in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- John Whitmore, who landed in Connecticut in 1630
- Alec Whitmore who settled in St. Christopher in 1634
- Thomas Whitmore, who arrived in Virginia in 1636
Whitmore Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Whitmore, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Jacob Whitmore, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1760
- Christian Whitmore, who landed in Frederick County, Maryland in 1767
Whitmore Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Whitmore, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- James Whitmore (1921-2009), American actor, nominated for two Oscars and winner of Emmy, Tony and Golden Globe awards
- Tamika Whitmore (b. 1977), American professional WNBA basketball player
- James Allen Whitmore III (b. 1948), American actor, son of James Whitmore
- William Elliott Whitmore (b. 1978), American blues vocalist and musician
- Alfred Whitmore (1876-1946), English pathologist co-identified Burkholderia pseudomallei, also known as Whitmore's disease
- Henry Whitmore (1813-1876), English Conservative politician, Member of the House of Commons (1852 to 1870)
- Theodore Whitmore (b. 1972), Jamaician football midfielder
- Kay Whitmore (b. 1967), former Canadian NHL ice hockey goaltender
- Laura Whitmore (b. 1985), Irish television presenter for MTV Europe
- Wetmore History and Some Maternal Lines by Kathryn Lee Wetmore.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Whitmore Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitmore Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 September 2013 at 19:52.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!