100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whiting family come from? What is the English Whiting family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whiting family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whiting family history?The Whiting name is thought to patronymic surname, created from the Old English personal name "Hwit," meaning "the white one."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whiting, Witing and others.
First found in various counties. Early recorded instances of the name include Roger Witenc, listed 1084 in the Geld Roll (part of the Domesday Book) for Somerset in 1084; Simundus filius Witing, recorded in Danelaw Documents, as being in Lincolnshire in 1150; William Whiting, listed in 1194 in the Curia Regis Rolls for Berkshire; and William Whiting listed in the Pipe Rolls of Buckinghamshire in 1197. A Giffard Whiting held a fee in the parish Catcott, Somerset in c. 1198. Several of the name were listed in the Hundred Rolls of 1273: Gerin Wyting in Bedfordshire; Felicia Wyting in Cambridgeshre; John Witting in Oxfordshire, Adelina Wyting in Huntingtonshire; and Thomas de Wytin in Nottinghamshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whiting research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1381, 1400, 1428, 1649, 1633 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Whiting History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whiting Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whiting Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Nathaniel Whiting, who arrived in Boston Massachusetts in 1631
- William Whiting, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1633
- Rebecca Whiting, who landed in Virginia in 1634
- Nathaniel Whiting, who landed in Dedham, Massachusetts in 1635
- Richard Whiting, who came to Virginia in 1635
Whiting Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Leonard Whiting, who arrived in Georgia in 1735
Whiting Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Whiting, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1807
- Henry M Whiting, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1849
- Margaret Whiting (b. 1924), American pop music singer
- Richard A. Whiting (1891-1938), American composer
- Ryan Keith Whiting (b. 1986), American four-time gold medalist shot putter
- William Whiting, English writer and hymnist, best known for his 1860 hymn "Eternal Father, Strong to Save"
- John Whiting (1917-1963), English playwright
- Norman Harry Whiting (1920-2014), English cricketer who played 59 first-class matches for Worcestershire in the late 1940s and early 1950s
- Charlie Whiting, FIA Formula One Race Director
- William Fairfield Whiting (1864-1936), United States Secretary of Commerce 1928 to 1929
- Dr. Cliff Whiting (b. 1936), New Zealand Maori artist, heritage advocate and teacher
- Genealogy of Evans, Nivin, and Allied Families by Septimus Evans Nivin.
- Genealogy of the William Whiting Family, 1724-1936 by Gregory C. Schwartz.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Whiting Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whiting Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2014 at 08:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!