BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whiting family come from? What is the English Whiting family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whiting family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whiting family history?The Whiting name is thought to patronymic surname, created from the Old English personal name "Hwit," meaning "the white one."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whiting, Witing and others.
First found in various counties. Early recorded instances of the name include Roger Witenc, listed 1084 in the Geld Roll (part of the Domesday Book) for Somerset in 1084; Simundus filius Witing, recorded in Danelaw Documents, as being in Lincolnshire in 1150; William Whiting, listed in 1194 in the Curia Regis Rolls for Berkshire; and William Whiting listed in the Pipe Rolls of Buckinghamshire in 1197. A Giffard Whiting held a fee in the parish Catcott, Somerset in c. 1198. Several of the name were listed in the Hundred Rolls of 1273: Gerin Wyting in Bedfordshire; Felicia Wyting in Cambridgeshre; John Witting in Oxfordshire, Adelina Wyting in Huntingtonshire; and Thomas de Wytin in Nottinghamshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whiting research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1381, 1400, 1428, 1649, 1633 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Whiting History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whiting Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whiting Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Nathaniel Whiting, who arrived in Boston Massachusetts in 1631
- William Whiting, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1633
- Rebecca Whiting, who landed in Virginia in 1634
- Nathaniel Whiting, who landed in Dedham, Massachusetts in 1635
- Richard Whiting, who came to Virginia in 1635
Whiting Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Leonard Whiting, who arrived in Georgia in 1735
Whiting Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Whiting, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1807
- Henry M Whiting, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1849
- Margaret Whiting (b. 1924), American pop music singer
- Richard A. Whiting (1891-1938), American composer
- William Whiting, English writer and hymnist, best known for his 1860 hymn "Eternal Father, Strong to Save"
- John Whiting (1917-1963), English playwright
- Norman Harry Whiting (1920-2014), English cricketer who played 59 first-class matches for Worcestershire in the late 1940s and early 1950s
- Charlie Whiting, FIA Formula One Race Director
- William Fairfield Whiting (1864-1936), United States Secretary of Commerce 1928 to 1929
- Dr. Cliff Whiting (b. 1936), New Zealand Maori artist, heritage advocate and teacher
- Genealogy of Evans, Nivin, and Allied Families by Septimus Evans Nivin.
- Genealogy of the William Whiting Family, 1724-1936 by Gregory C. Schwartz.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Whiting Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whiting Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 May 2014 at 11:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is