BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whitfield family come from? What is the English Whitfield family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitfield family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitfield family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whytefield, Whitfield, Whitefield, Whitefeild and others.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from ancient times, and were Lords of the manor of Whitfield in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitfield research. Another 237 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1650, 1371, 1384, 1378, 1401, 1378 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Whitfield History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitfield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitfield family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 45 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitfield Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Gilbert Whitfield, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- John Whitfield settled in Virginia in 1635
- John Whitfield, aged 20, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Henry Whitfield, who arrived in New England in 1639
- Henry Whitfield settled in New England in 1639
Whitfield Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Whitfield, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1707
- William Whitfield, who arrived in New England in 1709
- Susanna Whitfield, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1746
- Joshua Whitfield, who arrived in America in 1764
Whitfield Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Whitfield, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1832
- George T Whitfield, who arrived in New York in 1834
- S Whitfield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- James Whitfield, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Norman Jesse Whitfield (1940-2008), American songwriter and producer, founder of Whitfield Records
- Lynn Whitfield (b. 1953), American Emmy Award winning actress
- Barrence Whitfield (b. 1955), born Barry White, an American soul and R&B vocalist
- Brent Whitfield (b. 1981), American soccer player
- Malvin "Mal" Greston Whitfield (b. 1924), American six-time gold medalist Olympian and Pan American Games athlete
- Terry Bertland Whitfield (b. 1953), American former Major League Baseball player
- Evan Dylan Whitfield (b. 1977), retired American soccer player
- Thomas Anthony Whitfield (1954-1992), American gospel singer, songwriter, arranger and pianist
- June Rosemary Whitfield CBE (b. 1925), English actress, best known for her appearances in four "Carry On" films
- Ernest Albert Whitfield (1887-1963), created 1st Baron Kenswood of Ireland in 1951
- Whitfield History and Genealogy of Tennessee by Vallie Jo Fox Whitfield.
- Virginia History and Whitfield Biographies by Vallie Jo Fox.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Whitfield Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitfield Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 June 2014 at 08:40.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is