100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whitfield family come from? What is the English Whitfield family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitfield family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitfield family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whytefield, Whitfield, Whitefield, Whitefeild and others.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from ancient times, and were Lords of the manor of Whitfield in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitfield research. Another 188 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1650, 1714, and 1770 are included under the topic Early Whitfield History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 38 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitfield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitfield family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 185 words(13 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitfield Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Gilbert Whitfield, who landed in Virginia in 1623
- John Whitfield settled in Virginia in 1635
- John Whitfield, aged 20, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Henry Whitfield, who arrived in New England in 1639
- Henry Whitfield settled in New England in 1639
Whitfield Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Whitfield, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1707
- William Whitfield, who arrived in New England in 1709
- Susanna Whitfield, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1746
- Joshua Whitfield, who arrived in America in 1764
Whitfield Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Whitfield, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1832
- George T Whitfield, who arrived in New York in 1834
- S Whitfield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- James Whitfield, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Norman Jesse Whitfield (1940-2008), American songwriter and producer, founder of Whitfield Records
- Lynn Whitfield (b. 1953), American Emmy Award winning actress
- Barrence Whitfield (b. 1955), born Barry White, an American soul and R&B vocalist
- Brent Whitfield (b. 1981), American soccer player
- Malvin "Mal" Greston Whitfield (b. 1924), American six-time gold medalist Olympian and Pan American Games athlete
- Terry Bertland Whitfield (b. 1953), American former Major League Baseball player
- Evan Dylan Whitfield (b. 1977), retired American soccer player
- Thomas Anthony Whitfield (1954-1992), American gospel singer, songwriter, arranger and pianist
- June Rosemary Whitfield CBE (b. 1925), English actress, best known for her appearances in four "Carry On" films
- Ernest Albert Whitfield (1887-1963), created 1st Baron Kenswood of Ireland in 1951
- Whitfield History and Genealogy of Tennessee by Vallie Jo Fox Whitfield.
- Virginia History and Whitfield Biographies by Vallie Jo Fox.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Whitfield Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitfield Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 July 2013 at 17:32.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!