100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Whitcomb family come from? What is the English Whitcomb family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitcomb family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitcomb family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Widdicombe, Witchcombe, Whitcombe, Wydecombe and others.
First found in Shropshire where Berwick Mavesyn was settled in Morey. In ancient times, they moved to Wydecombe in Devon.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitcomb research. Another 279 words(20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitcomb History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Whitcomb Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitcomb Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Whitcomb, who landed in Lancaster, Massachusetts in 1654
- James Whitcomb, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1665
Whitcomb Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Whitcomb, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1791
Whitcomb Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- M Whitcomb, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Christopher Whitcomb, American author and former member of the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team
- Edgar Whitcomb (b. 1917), American politician, 43rd Governor of Indiana (1969-1973)
- Richard T. Whitcomb (1921-2009), American aeronautical engineer with significant contributions to the science of aerodynamics, recipient of the NASA Distinguished Service Medal (1956), Howard N. Potts Medal (1979), inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame (2003)
- James Whitcomb (1795-1852), American politician, Democratic United States Senator, eighth Governor of Indiana (1843 to 1848)
- Jon Whitcomb (1906-1988), American illustrator
- Lot Whitcomb (1807-1857), American entrepreneur who built the first steamship on the Willamette River in 1851
- Aber Whitcomb (b. 1977), American CTO of MindJolt, former CTO and a founder of MySpace
- Cynthia Whitcomb, American Emmy Award nominated, Writers Guild of America winning television writer
- George Dexter Whitcomb (1834-1914), American manufacturer, founder of the town of Glendora, California and the Whitcomb Locomotive Works
- R. Steven Whitcomb, retired United States Army Lieutenant General, Inspector General in the Office of The Inspector General
- The John Whitcomb Family in Indiana, and Interrelated Branches, 1830-1978 by Margaret Whitcomb Baird.
- Yankee Heritage, a Sisson Ancestry by Brian J.L. Berry.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Whitcomb Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitcomb Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 December 2013 at 20:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!