100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Weller family come from? What is the English Weller family crest and coat of arms? When did the Weller family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Weller family history?The Weller surname is derived from the Old English word "well," meaning a well. As a name, it is thought to have been topographic, originally used for someone who lived near a well or a spring.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weller, Wellar, Weler, Wellere and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weller research. Another 287 words(20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weller History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Weller Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weller Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Weller, who settled in New England in 1679
- Henry Weller, who came to America in 1679
- Margrett Weller, aged 22, arrived in Maryland in 1684
Weller Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Hieronymus Weller, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Kasper Weller, who landed in New York in 1709
- Hieronymus Weller, his wife Anna Juliana and their two children, who settled in New York in 1709
- Hans Martin Weller, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1727
- Henrich Weller, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727
Weller Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Humphry Weller, on record as a "British Alien" in New York in 1812
- Humphry Weller, aged 31, arrived in New York in 1812
- Enoch Weller, who arrived in America in 1827
- Thomas Weller, who landed in New York in 1831
- Jonas Weller, who arrived in America in 1835
- John Weller (1812-1875), American politician, Governor of California (1858-60)
- George Anthony Weller (1907-2002), American journalist, recipient of the Pulitzer Prize in 1943
- Thomas Huckle Weller (b. 1915), American microbiologist, shared 1954 Nobel Prize for work on the cultivation of the polio virus
- Peter Weller (b. 1947), American film actor, and director
- Gerald C Weller (b. 1957), American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1995-)
- Paul Weller (b. 1958), English pop-rock musician and songwriter
- Albert Hermann Weller (b. 1922), German award winning Professor of Chemistry
- Walter Weller (b. 1939), conductor of the Vienna State Opera, awarded the prestigious Charles Cross
- Many Descendants From Phillipp Weller (1615-1671/85) by Margaret Mighell Weller.
- The Weller Family by Ralph H. Weller.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Weller Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weller Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 September 2012 at 08:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!