100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German
Where did the German Walter family come from? What is the German Walter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Walter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Walter family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Walter, Walters, Walther, Waltherr and others.
First found in Silesia, where the name was associated in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would shape and define European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Walter research. Another 297 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1484, 1699, 1782, 1712, 1740, 1170, 1230, 1708, 1430, 1504, 1651 and 1708 are included under the topic Early Walter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Walter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Walter Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Anne Walter, who landed in Maryland in 1679
Walter Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Casper Walter from England settled in New York in 1709 with his wife and nine children
- John George Walter from England settled in New York with his wife and five children in 1709
- Caspar Walter, who emigrated to America with his wife and their nine children in 1709
- Barnard Walter, aged 58, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Barbara Walter, aged 24, landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
Walter Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Abraham Walter, who arrived in Ohio in 1832
- Abraham Walter, who landed in Ohio in 1832
- A. M. Walter, who came to America in 1836
- Baptiste Walter, aged 27, landed in St Louis, Missouri in 1840
- Heinrich Walter to Texas with his wife Rosine Holzhaueser (1845)
- Francis Eugene Walter (1894-1963), American Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Bruno Walter (1876-1962), renowned German-born American conductor, known for his interpretations of Mahler and Mozart
- Eugene Ferdinand Walter (1921-1998), American screenwriter, poet, short-story author, actor, puppeteer, gourmet chef, cryptographer, translator, editor, and costume designer
- Andrew Walter (b. 1982), American football quarterback
- Jessica Walter (b. 1941), American Primetime Emmy Award winning and two-time Golden Globe nominated actress, known for her role in the film Play Misty for Me
- Hellmuth Walter (1900-1980), German engineer who pioneered research into rocket engines and gas turbines
- Ulrich Hans Walter (b. 1954), German physicist/engineer and a former astronaut with 9 days, 23 hours, and 40 minutes in space
- Joachim Walter (b. 1940), former East German football player
- Norbert Walter (1944-2012), German economist, Chief Economist of Deutsche Bank from 1990 to 2009
- Ben James Walter (b. 1984), Canadian ice hockey player in the National Hockey League
- Families of Eliza Walters & Benjamin Franklin Johnson of Orange Co., Indiana by James Walters Johnson.
- My Cooley-Walters Ancestry in from Fairchance, Penna., and Surrounding Areas by Kathryn Mercedes Cooley Miller.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Walter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Walter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 September 2013 at 11:17.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!