BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German, Jewish
Where did the German Wagoner family come from? What is the German Wagoner family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wagoner family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wagoner family history?The German territory of Silesia is the noble birthplace of the surname Wagoner. The name is derived from the Middle High German term "wagener," meaning "one who drives or makes wagons," and would likely have been initially borne by a wheelwright or carriage maker.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wagner, Wegner, Wagoner, Wagener, Waganer, Waggener and many more.
First found in Saxony, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Prominent in social affairs, the name became an important part of these turbulent regions as they emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wagoner research. Another 519 words(37 lines of text) covering the years 1656, 1845, 1812, 1762, 1742, 1745, 1660, 1717, 1747, 1779, 1813, 1883, 1869 and 1930 are included under the topic Early Wagoner History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 179 words(13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wagoner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wagoner Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Wagoner, who arrived in Maryland in 1702-1703
- Sebastian Wagoner, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Elias Wagoner, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- William Wagoner, aged 42, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Johans Wagoner, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
Wagoner Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Yorick Wagoner, aged 28, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Jacob Wagoner, aged 25, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- John Wagoner, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906
- Henry Wagoner, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- Christopher Wagoner, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854
Wagoner Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Otto Wagoner, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
- Dan Wagoner (b. 1932), American modern dancer
- David Wagoner (b. 1926), American poet, nominee for two National Book Awards
- Porter Wagoner (1927-2007), American country music singer, member of the Country Music Hall of Fame
- George Richard "Rick" Wagoner Jr. (b. 1953), American businessman, former General Motors chief executive officer
- Kenneth S. Wagoner (1911-1998), American professor and skin scientist
- Mark Wagoner (b. 1971), American politician, formerly in the Ohio House of Representatives
- Murray Van Wagoner (1898-1986), American politician, 38th Governor of Michigan from 1941 to 1942
- Winfred E. Wagoner (1888-1948), American educator
- The Descendants of Michael Wagoner, ca. 1774-1826 by Margaret M. Wagner.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Wagoner Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wagoner Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 October 2013 at 09:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is