An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Dutch Verburg family come from? What is the Dutch Verburg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Verburg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Verburg family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Verburch, Verburcht, Verburg, Verburgh, Vorburger, Ferber, Fürberg and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Delft, a town in the province of South Holland. It received its charter from Prince William II of the Netherlands in 1246. In 1536 it was almost totally destroyed by fire. It became the residence of the Counts of Orange. The Old Church, originally built in the 11th century, was rebuilt in 1476. It is most famous for its beautiful porcelain. It did not survive the French occupation at the end of 18th century. Hence, New Delft. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Verburg research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1745 and 1776 are included under the topic Early Verburg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Verburg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Verburg Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
The Verburg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Verburg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 February 2014 at 14:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.