100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch-Alt, Dutch, German
Where did the Dutch Vandenberg family come from? What is the Dutch Vandenberg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vandenberg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vandenberg family history?The surname Vandenberg comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berger, Bergen, Berg, Van Berg, Van Berger, Van Bergen, Van den Berger, Van den Berg, Van der Berg, Van den Bergh and many more.
First found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vandenberg research. Another 214 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1709, 1748, 1755, 1799, and 1873 are included under the topic Early Vandenberg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 60 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vandenberg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vandenberg Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Aaltje VanDenBerg, aged 36, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Aart VandenBerg, aged 39, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Cornelis VanDenBerg, aged 45, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Jakoba Knaap VandenBerg, aged 42, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- L VanDenBerg, aged 31, landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Arthur Hendrick Vandenberg (1884-1951), American politician, member of the U.S. Senate (1928-1951)
- Hoyt Sanford Vandenberg (1899-1954), American U.S. Air Force general, Air Force Chief of Staff, and the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- James Vandenberg (b. 1989), American football player
- Harold Harris "Hy" Vandenberg (1906-1994), American Major League Baseball player
- Colonel J H Van Den Berg (d. 1961), Dutch born soldier of Pancho Villa's, as well as in both world-wars
- Lodewijk Willem Christiaan van den Berg (1845-1927), Dutch politician
- Sidney J. Van den Berg, Dutch defense minister
- Ans van den Berg (1873-1942), Dutch painter
- Gerard Van den Berg (b. 1937), American television quiz-master
- Richard "Richie" Vandenberg (b. 1977), Australian Rules footballer
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- De Amicis, Edmondo and Helen Zimmern. Holland. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1894. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Vandenberg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vandenberg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 August 2014 at 09:03.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!