BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Belgium, Dutch, German
Where did the Dutch Van Dyke family come from? What is the Dutch Van Dyke family crest and coat of arms? When did the Van Dyke family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Van Dyke family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van Dyk, Van Dijk, Van Dijck, Van Dyck, Van Dijken, Van Dyken, Dijkman, Dykman, Op en Dyke, Updike and many more.
First found in early documents. It is derived from the word "dyk" which means "dyke." The word "van" which often appears in Dutch names (including most of the variations of this name) is roughly equivalent to "by" or "at," indicating that the name refers to some feature of the terrain near the first bearer's home. Therefore, the first person to bear this name lived near a dyke.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Dyke research. More information is included under the topic Early Van Dyke History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Dyke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Dyke Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Jan Thomasse VanDyke, who landed in New York, NY in 1652
- Thomasse Janse VanDyke, who arrived in New York in 1652
- Frans Clausen VanDyke, who settled in New York in 1655
- Claes VanDyke, who came to New York, NY in 1662
- Claes VanDyke, who landed in New York, NY in 1662
Van Dyke Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Hagen VanDyke, aged 10, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Barteld J. VanDyke, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Barteld J VanDyke, aged 43, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Maria VanDyke, aged 46, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Marinnus VanDyke, aged 42, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Richard Wayne "Dick" Van Dyke (b. 1925), American actor and comedian, best remembered for his role in The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Jerry Van Dyke (b. 1931), American comedian and actor, brother of "Dick" who made frequent guest appearances on the Dick Van Dyke Show
- Woodbridge Strong "Woody" Van Dyke (1889-1943), American film director
- Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933), American clergyman
- Earl Van Dyke (1930-1992), American musician, keyboardist for Motown Records
- Leroy Frank Van Dyke (b. 1929), American country music singer, best known for his hits "The Auctioneer" (1956) and "Walk On By" (1961)
- Nicholas Van Dyke (1738-1789), American lawyer and politician, President of Delaware (1783-1786)
- Nicholas Van Dyke (1770-1826), American lawyer and politician, United States Senator from Delaware (1817-1826)
- Van Dyke: Over Three Hundred Years of One Line by E.F. Baty.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
The Van Dyke Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Van Dyke Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 July 2014 at 13:07.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is