BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Unwin family come from? What is the English Unwin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Unwin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Unwin family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Unwin, Unwyn, Unwynn, Unwine and others.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Unwin research. Another 121 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Unwin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Unwin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Unwin Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Georg Unwin, who landed in Virginia in 1637
Unwin Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Unwin settled in Virginia in 1721
- Martin Unwin, who arrived in New England in 1737
- Francis Unwin settled in New England in 1770
Unwin Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Earl Unwin, aged 9, who emigrated to America from Sheffield, in 1895
- Eliz. A. Unwin, aged 25, who landed in America from Shipley, in 1897
- George Unwin, aged 38, who landed in America from Nottingham, in 1899
Unwin Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Edgar Walker Unwin, aged 36, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Elorine Winifred Unwin, aged 15, who landed in America from Cambridge, in 1906
- Ada Unwin, aged 36, who settled in America from London, England, in 1909
- George E. Unwin, aged 37, who emigrated to America from London, England, in 1909
- Bertram Unwin, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from New Market, England, in 1911
- Sir Raymond Unwin (1863-1940), English prominent and influential urban planner
- Nicholas Unwin (b. 1962), British, is among the leading English pianists of his generation
- Commodore Edward Unwin VC CB Unwin VC, CB, CMG (1864-1950), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Wing Commander George Cecil Unwin DSO, DFM & Bar (1913-2006), English RAF wing commander
- Jim Unwin (1912-2003), English rugby union international player
- Nora Sicer Unwin (1907-1982), English children's illustrator and author
- Paul Unwin (b. 1957), English Oscar and BAFTA nominated film and television director
- Sir Stanley Unwin (1884-1968), English publisher, co-founder of George Allen and Unwin (1914)
- Stephen D. Unwin, English physicist
- Stephen Unwin (b. 1960), English theatre director
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Unwin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Unwin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 October 2013 at 09:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is