100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Tyrrell family come from? What is the Irish Tyrrell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tyrrell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tyrrell family history?The surname Tyrrell is derived from the Old French word "tirel," derived from "tirer," "to pull." The word was often used to refer to an animal that pulled carts; thus it may be that it was used as a nickname for a stubborn person, before coming to be used as a hereditary surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tyrell, Terrell, Terrill, Tyrill, Tirell, Tyrrell and many more.
First found in Westmeath, where a Tyrrell family obtained a grant of most of the barony of Fertullagh, as well as the lordship of Castleknock in County Dublin.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tyrrell research. Another 181 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1597, 1676, 1688, 1224, 1692, 1676, 1689, 1617, 1701, 1619, 1693, 1646 and 1692 are included under the topic Early Tyrrell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 157 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tyrrell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tyrrell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Tyrrell, who arrived in Virginia in 1667
Tyrrell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Michael Tyrrell, who arrived in America in 1739
Tyrrell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Tyrrell, who arrived in New York in 1837
- Bridget Tyrrell, who was on record in Pittsburgh in 1854
- Susan Tyrrell (b. 1945), American actress
- Emmett Tyrrell (b. 1943), American conservative magazine editor, New York Times bestselling author, and columnist
- Professor Robert Yelverton Tyrrell (1844-1914), Irish classical scholar and poet
- George Tyrrell (1861-1909), Irish theologian
- Sir Murray Louis Tyrrell KCVO, CBE (1913-1994), Official Secretary to the Governor General of Australia from 1947 to 1973
- Joseph Burr Tyrrell (1858-1957), Canadian explorer and geologist, discoverer of the dinosaur Albertosaurus in Alberta in 1884, eponym of the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology in Drumheller, Alberta
- Robert Kenneth "Ken" Tyrrell (1924-2001), British Formula Two racing driver and the founder of the Tyrrell Formula One constructor
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Tyrrell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tyrrell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 January 2014 at 22:43.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!