BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Townsley family come from? What is the English Townsley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Townsley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Townsley family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tinsley, Tinslie, Tinslay, Townsley, Tinsleigh, Tinsly, Townsleigh, Townslie, Townslay, Tounslie, Tounsleigh, Tounsly, Tounsley, Taunslie, Taunsley, Taunsleigh, Taunsly and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat anciently.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Townsley research. Another 255 words(18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Townsley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Townsley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Townsley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 116 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Townsley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Emily Townsley, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1896
- Henry P. Townsley, aged 51, who landed in America, in 1896
Townsley Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- H. P. Townsley, aged 56, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Robert Townsley, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Belfast, Ireland, in 1908
- Thomas Townsley, aged 41, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1909
- Mary Townsley, aged 20, who landed in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1909
- Ely Townsley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1909
- Clarence Page Townsley (1855-1926), Superintendent of the United States Military Academy from 1912 to 1916
- Derek Townsley (b. 1973), English former professional footballer
- Richard Andrew John Townsley (b. 1952), English first-class cricketer
- James Townsley (1774-1833), English Wesleyan minister and author
- Barry Stephen Townsley CBE (b. 1946), British stockbroker, founder and former CEO of Townsley & Co
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Townsley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Townsley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 June 2012 at 13:52.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is