BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Towns family come from? What is the Scottish Towns family crest and coat of arms? When did the Towns family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Towns family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Towne, Town, Towns, Townes and others.
First found in Linlithgowshire (Gaelic: Lodainn an Iar), former county in south-central Scotland, now the Council Area West Lothian, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Towns research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1339, 1423, 1531, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Towns History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Towns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Towns Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Towns, who landed in Virginia in 1719
Towns Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- David Towns, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- M Towns, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Alexander Towns, aged 25, who landed in America from Aberdeen, in 1892
- Wm. F.M. Towns, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Towns Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Walter F. Towns, aged 48, who settled in America, in 1900
- Charles Towns, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1905
- James Towns, aged 50, who landed in America from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Jane S Towns, aged 60, who settled in America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1907
- Sarah Ann Towns, aged 52, who emigrated to the United States from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Charles B. Towns (1862-1947), American expert on alcoholism and drug addiction who helped draft drug control legislation
- Darryl Towns (b. 1961), American politician, member of New York State Legislature
- Edolphus Towns (b. 1934), American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York
- Forrest Grady "Spec" Towns (1914-1991), American gold medalist track and field athlete at the 1936 Olympic Games
- George Washington Bonaparte Towns (1801-1854), American lawyer, legislator, and politician, 39th Governor of Georgia from 1847 to 1851
- Lester Towns (b. 1977), former American NFL football linebacker
- Morris Towns (b. 1954), former American NFL football offensive tackle
- Anthony Towns (b. 1978), Australian computer programmer, secretary of Linux Australia
- Colin Towns (b. 1948), English composer and keyboard player
- Greg Towns (b. 1954), former Australian rules footballer
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
The Towns Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Towns Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 April 2014 at 23:17.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is