100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Towns family come from? What is the Scottish Towns family crest and coat of arms? When did the Towns family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Towns family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Towne, Town, Towns, Townes and others.
First found in Linlithgowshire (Gaelic: Lodainn an Iar), former county in south-central Scotland, now the Council Area West Lothian, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Towns research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1339, 1423, 1531, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Towns History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Towns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Towns Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Towns, who landed in Virginia in 1719
Towns Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- David Towns, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- M Towns, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Alexander Towns, aged 25, who landed in America from Aberdeen, in 1892
- Wm. F.M. Towns, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Towns Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Walter F. Towns, aged 48, who settled in America, in 1900
- Charles Towns, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1905
- James Towns, aged 50, who landed in America from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Jane S Towns, aged 60, who settled in America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1907
- Sarah Ann Towns, aged 52, who emigrated to the United States from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Charles B. Towns (1862-1947), American expert on alcoholism and drug addiction who helped draft drug control legislation
- Darryl Towns (b. 1961), American politician, member of New York State Legislature
- Edolphus Towns (b. 1934), American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York
- Forrest Grady "Spec" Towns (1914-1991), American gold medalist track and field athlete at the 1936 Olympic Games
- George Washington Bonaparte Towns (1801-1854), American lawyer, legislator, and politician, 39th Governor of Georgia from 1847 to 1851
- Lester Towns (b. 1977), former American NFL football linebacker
- Morris Towns (b. 1954), former American NFL football offensive tackle
- Anthony Towns (b. 1978), Australian computer programmer, secretary of Linux Australia
- Colin Towns (b. 1948), English composer and keyboard player
- Greg Towns (b. 1954), former Australian rules footballer
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
The Towns Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Towns Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 September 2012 at 12:26.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!