100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Toth family come from? What is the German Toth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Toth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Toth family history?The Toth surname is thought to be independently derived from the Middle High German words "toto," meaning "death," or "tote," meaning "godfather." In either instance, the name was probably a nickname, which later became a hereditary surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Toth, Tott, Todt and others.
First found in Germany, where the name Toth came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries, most notably in Sweden. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Toth research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) covering the year 1652 is included under the topic Early Toth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Toth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Toth Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Ferdinand Toth, who came to Indiana in 1852
- Ferdinand Toth, who landed in Indiana in 1852
- George Toth, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1893
- John Toth, who landed in New York, NY in 1893
- George Toth, who arrived in Galveston, Texas in 1893
- Alex Toth (1928-2006), American cartoonist
- Paul Toth (1935-1999), American Major League Baseball player
- Andor John Toth (1925-2006), American soloist, concert artist, conductor and educator
- André de Toth (1912-2002), Hungarian-American filmmaker
- Taylor Toth (b. 1988), American figure skater
- Kevin Toth (b. 1967), former American shot put athlete
- Peter Wolf Toth (b. 1947), Hungarian-born, American sculptor
- József Toth (b. 1986), Hungarian footballer
- Tímea Toth (b. 1980), Hungarian handballer
- Krisztina Toth (b. 1974), female Hungarian table tennis player
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Toth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Toth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 October 2014 at 14:33.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!