BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Topham family come from? What is the English Topham family crest and coat of arms? When did the Topham family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Topham family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Topham, Topam, Toppam and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Topham research. Another 268 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1749, 1751, and 1820 are included under the topic Early Topham History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Topham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Topham Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Topham, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1703-1704
- William Topham, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1746
Topham Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Topham who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1820 with a child
- Mr. and Mrs. Topham settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1821
- Anthony "Top" Topham (b. 1947), English musician, and artist
- Robert Topham (1867-1931), English international footballer
- Harry Gillespie Topham (1862-1925), English clergyman and cricketer
- Thomas Topham (1702-1749), famous English strong man
- Corporal Frederick George Topham (1917-1974), Canadian who was awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery
- Arthur Topham (b. 1869), England international footballer
- Kristin Louise Topham (b. 1973), former international freestyle and butterfly swimmer from Canada
- Christopher Topham, British member of Parliament
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Ut vivas vigila
Motto Translation: Watch that you may live.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
The Topham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Topham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 April 2012 at 08:30.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is