BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Tomkins family come from? What is the English Tomkins family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tomkins family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tomkins family history?The distinguished surname Tomkins is of English origin. It is derived from the first name "Tom," the popular diminutive of the name "Thomas," and, when combined with the Medieval suffix of endearment "kin," means "son of dear little Tom."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tompkins, Tomkins, Tomkyns, Thomkins, Thompkins and others.
First found in Herefordshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times and were Lords of the manor of Monington.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tomkins research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1661, 1572, 1656, 1569, 1636, 1624, 1629, 1605, 1674, 1640 and 1674 are included under the topic Early Tomkins History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tomkins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Tomkins family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 91 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tomkins Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth Tomkins, aged 18, arrived in America in 1635
- Marie Tomkins, aged 14, landed in America in 1635
- Ralph Tomkins, aged 50, landed in New England in 1635
- Samvel Tomkins, aged 22, arrived in New England in 1635
- Henry Tomkins, who landed in Virginia in 1652
Tomkins Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Mathew Tomkins, who arrived in Virginia in 1700
Tomkins Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Tomkins, who arrived in Virginia in 1887
Tomkins Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Arthur Burtin Tomkins, who landed in Michigan in 1907
- Calvin Tomkins (b. 1925), American author and art critic for The New Yorker magazine
- Silvan Solomon Tomkins (1911-1991), American psychologist and personality theorist
- James Tomkins (b. 1989), English footballer
- Trevor Ramsey Tomkins (b. 1941), English jazz drummer
- Thomas Tomkins (1572-1656), English composer
- Joel Tomkins (b. 1987), English professional rugby league footballer
- Rt. Rev. Oliver Tomkins, World Council of Churches
- Sir Edward Tomkins, Ambassador to France
- James Tomkins (b. 1965), Australian rower and a three-time Olympic gold medalist
- Paddy Tomkins, Chief Constable of Lothian and Borders Police
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Tomkins Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tomkins Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 November 2012 at 13:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is