100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Dutch Thigpen family come from? What is the Dutch Thigpen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Thigpen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Thigpen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thye, Thy, Thyes, Thys, Thyese, Thyses, Thyi, Thyis, Thyy, Tye, Tie, van Tye, van Thye, Thyee and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Gelderland, (Guelders) an ancient province surrounding the town of Gelder. To the south of Friesland this province was originally in two parts north and south of the Rhine. In addition, the province is sub-divided into four towns, or quarters, Nijmegan, Arnhem, Zutphen and Roermond, each having unique rights and customs. Apeldoorn is a city of note. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thigpen research. Another 159 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1830, 1617 and 1684 are included under the topic Early Thigpen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Thigpen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thigpen Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- James Thigpen, who came to North Carolina in 1653
Thigpen Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Chas. A. Thigpen, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
- Frank Thigpen, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1896
Thigpen Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Calvin Thigpen, aged 51, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Charles Thigpen, aged 45, who settled in America, in 1911
- Mrs. Charles Thigpen, aged 38, who emigrated to America, in 1911
- William Thigpen, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- W.D. Thigpen, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1922
- Tyler "Dirty Pigpen" Thigpen (b. 1984), American NFL football quarterback, Big South Player of the Year (2006)
- Robert Thomas "Bobby" Thigpen (b. 1963), American relief pitcher in Major League Baseball who played from 1986 to 1994
- Yancey Dirk Thigpen (b. 1969), American NFL football wide receiver who played from 1991 to 2000
- Edmund Leonard "Ed" Thigpen (1930-2010), American jazz drummer, best known for his work with the Oscar Peterson trio (1959-1965)
- Cherlynne Theresa "Lynne" Thigpen (1948-2003), American stage and television actress, best known for her role as "The Chief" in the Carmen Sandiego television series
- Curtis Barnard Thigpen (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball catcher who played from 2007 to 2008 for the Toronto Blue Jays
- Tommy Thigpen (b. 1971), American college football assistant coach
- Marcus Arnette Thigpen (b. 1986), American NFL football running back
- Ben Thigpen (1908-1971), American jazz drummer, father of the drummer Ed Thigpen
- Corbett H. Thigpen (1919-1999), American psychiatrist and co-author of The Three Faces of Eve (1957)
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Swierenga, Robert P. Compiler Dutch Emigrant to the United State, South Africa, South America and Southeast Asia 1835-1880 An Alphabetical Listing by Househould Heads and Independent Persons. Wilmington, DE: Scholary Resources, 1983. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
The Thigpen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Thigpen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 October 2014 at 12:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!