100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Telford family come from? What is the Scottish Telford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Telford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Telford family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Telfer, Talfer, Telford, Telpher, Talifero, Tailyefer, Telfair and many more.
First found in Huntingdon, where they were descended from Taillefer of Normandy, jester to King William, Duke of Normandy, who asked the Duke for a favor at Hastings. Telfer put his horse to the gallop charging before all the rest to the amazement of the English soldiers. He was granted lands in Huntingdon, but was invited by David, Earl of Huntingdon, later to be King of Scotland, to attend him in Scotland and was granted lands in Lanarkshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Telford research. Another 311 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1500, 1643, and 1683 are included under the topic Early Telford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Telford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Telford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 91 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Telford Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Telford settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1772
- John Telford settled in Virginia in 1774
- Francis Telford, who arrived in New York in 1796
Telford Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Telford, aged 42, landed in New York in 1812
- James Telford, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- John Telford, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1842
- William Telford, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Thomas Telford, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Anthony Telford (b. 1966), American Major League baseball player
- Thomas Telford (1757-1834), Scottish stonemason, architect and civil engineer and a noted road, bridge and canal builder, eponym of Telford, Shropshire
- Robert Taylor Telford (1860-1933), Canadian pioneer and politician who served in the Legislative Assembly of Alberta from 1905 until 1913
- Carly Telford (b. 1987), English footballer
- Zoe Telford (b. 1973), British actress
- Dick Telford (b. 1945), former Australian rules footballer
- William Albert "Billy" Telford (b. 1956), English former professional footballer
- Bill "Snow" Telford, New Zealand rugby league player and coach
- Carly Mitchell Telford (b. 1987), English international football goalkeeper from County Durham
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
The Telford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Telford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2013 at 23:34.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!