An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Teeter family come from? What is the German Teeter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Teeter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Teeter family history?This Surname was created from the Upper German personal name Dietrich, which is in turn derived from the elements "Diet," meaning "nation or people," and "her," meaning "army."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dieter, Deiter, Dieters, Deiters, Dietherr, Deeter, Deter, Deters, Teter, Teters, Dieterlen, Dietherle, Dietert and many more.
First found in Pomerania, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. The five sons Peter Deterde (also spelt Dithers) were granted the feudal property of Grapow by the Duke Bolislav in 1514.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Teeter research. Another 165 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1412, 1450, and 1463 are included under the topic Early Teeter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 22 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Teeter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Christian Dieter, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1856; Georg Dieter arrived in Philadelphia in 1729; Hendrick Dieter settled in New York state in 1744.
The Teeter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Teeter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 August 2013 at 13:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.